Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

foot drop

I am trying to find others with foot drop and see if surgery helped them at all

• I have managed to find this thread which although is old may be interesting reading for you. :-)

Hopefully some other members who do have experience of foot drop will be along to share their experiences.
  • It sounds deceptively simple in its terminology but often foot drop is a red flag for another primary condition like a damaged nerve, trapped nerve or stenosis.
    I have permanent foot drop and I cannot stress the importance of being proactive. Push the GP, the surgeon/consultant. Nerve injuries take an age to heal fractions of a mm per month to repair and sometimes do not always. There is not much over this side of the pond(UK) regarding 'time windows for surgery'.
    However in America there are many web articles by consultants/doctors who stress the importance of a definite 'time window' of release of the nerve.
    I know the Doctors mean well over here, but take it from someone who was left for 3 months before a NHS hospital could scan me and then told after the results of the scan that my foot drop was permanent, it ain't no fun.
    what value do you put on walking properly?
    Get the surgery relieve the trapped nerve. There is some risk that the nerve could be damaged during surgery. There is also treatment with an AFO brace to see if the nerve becomes free by itself. You have to way up the risks.
    But find out what the 'time window is' for your case, as you do not want foot drop permanently.
    Some medical staff in the UK, think just give them a brace and end of story. Do not believe their stance that foot drop is of no great deal.
    I lost my full driving licence , I lost my job because I needed a full driving licence ( I can only drive automatics), because of foot drop, it is a disability. It is life altering.
    I recently had surgery on my lower back to stop radiculopathy but I was told pre surgery by the surgeon that the foot drop was permanent. The decompression operation deals with the sciatic pain only in my case. However in other peoples it is imperative the nerve is released in a timely fashion, do not accept a 12 month wait on a list. If your local health authority can not do it see your GP and find one that can in a shorter time, it is important.
    I am sorry to bad mouth some doctors in this comment but I had some bad experiences with some of their attitudes 'of just wear a brace and it ok' , is not acceptable.
    I am sorry if I have frightened you. But I am a realist and believe in telling it like it is.
    Be pro active and push them.
    It is not them with the foot drop and having to live with its consequences.
  • Sorry about all you have been through evh2!

Surgery caused foot drop for me. Luckily it was my left foot. I had tons of PT for it and had to walk with an AFO brace for a few months be it healed. I can't imagine that being life long. Sure, there are worse things in life, but if you can avoid it by surgery sooner than later... then I can't imagine putting it off.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Hi Allmetal looks like you have a bad condition with all the titanium. You have had lots of problems and surgery, sorry to hear that. You are right there are worse things in life. Many. i was just trying to point out both perspectives surgery v non surgery.
    With the nerve damage and entrapment left too long the nerve I guess basically dies off and neuropathy sets in. It is a gamble having surgery (like yourself said in your own case) but you have to way up your own individual situation and take medical advice.
    With nerves damage comes additional problems of not being able to feel pain in your foot and leg and more prone to infection of chaffing/cuts with the AFO rubbing the skin. Basically cannot feel a cut or a blister.
    For some people foot drop can be permanent.
    For most foot drop can be cured.
  • Hi

My weakness rim my foot drop makes me trip and thankGod have only falen once
    I reach for a wall or table or chair the second i trip on my numb toes and foot
    Anyone else have this problem?
    I can move my ankle up and down but feel like my foot is walking on a pillow
    When i try to do circular motion with my ankle i get "jerky" circle
  • Prior to my ACDF on june 17, 2013, didn't have full fledged foot drop, but close. Had weakness on my left side, no hand grip, weak left leg and foot. Could move the foot up and down also, but when taking a step my foot would kind of flop forward, but did have some control over it, but was loosing it. After the surgery, I gained full use of my left side, no funky walking. Still have some numbness all that I had prior to surgery, now it comes and goes, think that is still apart of healing. My surgeon told me not to wait 6 months for the surgery because it would be too late.
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • Thanks for your post and i am so happy that your foot drop is better
    This gives me HOPE for my surgery on Aug 13th
    Ps. Can you give. more details on why yiur surgeon told you not to wait six months, is he talking about another surgery in the FUTURE or that it was good you did not wait longer when you had the surgery you had already?
  • I had stenosis with acute myelopathy, cord compression. The only fix for cord compression I was told is surgery to stop the progression and not to fix any currant symptoms. If a person waits there is a chance of the damage becoming permanent, and possibly paralyze if no surgery was done. Not trying to scare you. There are lots of articles here on spine health about foot drop, and stenosis, and myelopathy. Might help to do some reading, it sure helped me to better make an informed decision as what to do. I did the surgery and mine turned out good, can walk fine now and hold my morning cup of coffee :)
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • Hoping and praying that my foot drop problems gets resolved since i had my surgery 7 weeks ago.
    Some strengthening has happened already but numbness and tingling is getting worse.

I still fear falling with such a weak foot.

My surgeon specializes in severe neuro problems, so i have a good chance for healing

But my foot drop is 2 years old and i realistically feel the damage is permanent

But then sometimes i am NOT numb at all and then sometimes totally numb. So maybe wuth decompression being done now the nerve has a chance for healing.

My numbness changes as i said, that must be a good thing right?

• Debbied67DDebbied67 Posts: 100
    edited 11/03/2014 - 10:21 AM
    Has any one had surgery to correct foot drop,,,,ankel fusion or nerve transfers,,,, if so how long do you have to have foot drop for,,,, I only had mine 4 months had microdiscectomy 7 weeks ago but still the same,,,, I know it takes time for nerves to heal,,, was just wondering for the future if nessasery,,,,,thanks
  • My thoughts are that you should push for tests to determine the reasons for the foot drop. Push to see a neurologist, push to have a full spinal mri, you need to know, and it can be a sign of other conditions ie MS.... so you really need to know why first...
  • Cannot really say if it gets better or not.. I had L5-s1 surgery in april 2012 and experienced an automatic insane problem to the surgery which has now been diagnosed as RSD, CRPS and "Foot drop" - which is kind of odd.. I can move my ankle, but cannot walk the way I used to - feels like I am walking on a baseball.. It appears that the peroneal nerve is damaged (from s1 on the left side) I now have an AFO brace (very clunky) - this was something I had to research myself (!) and it is hard to get it into boots - cold feet now that the weather here has changed. This has been over a year and a half, and there was NOTHING from the surgeon in the beginning - HE kept saying it would get stronger. What a crock. Sorry, but angry and annoyed. The person who suggested it as foot drop was finally my PT and my pain mgmt. doc. Pain Mgmt keeps suggesting a spine stim to which I keep saying no. I have read about nerve transfer surgery but they aren't doing it in NY *(that I know of)* and have only seen info on that in Texas. I just read about exterior RFD stimulators, but I don't know if they work.. I know this is horrible (for me) as I used to love to walk, run, etc., and thought that the back surgery would assist. I didn't think, (yes, poor me) that this would happen to me.. :-( TRUE > With the nerve damage and entrapment left too long the nerve I guess basically dies off and neuropathy sets in. < My neuro pain was an instant issue from my surgery in the night in recovery and no one did anything for me. 12 hours in agony. I cannot feel the bottom of my foot ,and have tripped/ fallen more than once.. once, two weeks after surgery. The volume of pain dialed down in the past year, but not all the time.. it comes and goes with a vengeance at times. burning. stabbing, electrical, you name it.. I do not believe there are quick cures.. there's PT, which is a necessity to keep muscles working, even if nerves are not.. I try to do what I can. the brace helps, but it is too heavy to keep on all day and night. I usually take it off when I get home. This whole path of pre surgery, post surgery, and this past year, quite an experience.. quite.. I wish you all the best.. and hope you all heal FAST..
  • my films / mri's do not show anything as "trapped"... I saw a whole new crew of doctors after my surgery... the only thing that they wanted to do was a myelogram, which I did not want to do (too many risks, too much fear) too many doctors.. they said that it was probably due to a bleed on the nerve post surgery (*while in recovery*) and that damages the nerve to the point, of potential, NO return.. I have been told, sorry this happened, but... there are risks. I do not consider this a successful surgery and I do think of my surgeon as a real tool. ( yes, a NYC top of the line doc) He yelled at me and berated me 3 weeks after my surgery for not being able to stand on my TOES and blamed the whole thing on the blood clots ! (yes, I had those too..) Been a very tough year + for me.. Is there a legal recourse? No. One thing I will tell EVERYONE here, is that, the back surgery cost me way more than I ever expected, in extra costs, extra doc visits, lost work time, (6 weeks out) my back is strong enough now for me to do things I used to do, but I will never be able to dance again. that makes me super sad..
  • MartzmomMMartzmom Posts: 1
    edited 02/19/2015 - 4:18 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I had a T12 Burst fracture in Dec 2013. I was left with a foot drop on my left foot. I trip and fall a great deal on a daily basis. I have an AFO that I wear. However, the nerve pain makes wearing the AFO extremely difficult. I use a TENS unit a lot to help ease the pain. Does anyone know if surgery may help me? I don't have insurance and my PT acts as my primary. Should I push him for more answers? I feel constant pins and needles even with a high dose of meds. I take NO pain pills.

It seems everyone here has been through a lot. The only thing I can say to everyone is All You Got, All The Time! That's how I got out of my hospital bed, and how I deal with this foot drop on a daily basis.
    Martz Mom
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I am having a "poor me" night but after reading this thread I just went to test my "foot drop" which was really bad in September. I'd since had several injections which I felt were "useless" but, for now, my foot drop doesn't seem to be an issue! I can stand on tiptoes on both legs!
    I just keep getting more and more news that "there's not much that can be done" I'm happy with the little things! I know it's temporary because the foot drop always comes back but, for right now, I can pretend to be a prima ballerina for a few minutes. I have to celebrate the little things!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)