Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica? Excruciating Sharp Pains In My Thighs.

toxmaxttoxmax Posts: 1
Hello everybody.
PLEASE read through if you have the time, i could really use some advice on what this could be or ways I could possibly solve it. :)

I am 22 years old and have been having this problem since i was 15 years old.

the pain is deep at the back of my thighs, sometimes left, sometimes right, it hurts when bending over to get things and sometimes when getting up out of bed, sneezing, laughing, coughing, sometimes simply walking is almost impossible, but there are days when i can even run, do normal things until the pain bites me back later, this thing is nothing like a muscular pain! more worryingly when i tense my piriformis (the muscle that will help you to stop urinating) I feel a tension at the back of my thighs where the pain is, and then one or two quick loud pops, the tension then subsides and it somehow feels just a little better.
I am just wondering if any of you have ideas to what it could be, this is crazy! I can't for the life figure out what is wrong with me.

I have also had an MRI scan on my lower back but the doctor said he couldn't see anything wrong, I never got to see the results for myself.

almost every doctor I have been to in London could not figure out what was wrong with me.
but all the symptoms point to sciatica when a doctor told me to do a simple test with sitting with one of my legs pointing further out and bending my torso forward a tiny bit.
The pain was instantly activated.

thanks for reading :)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/22/2013 - 2:29 AM
    Welcome to Spine Health. :-) If you click on and read the forum rules (see above post) you will see that members are not allowed to give formal medical advice. None of us are medically trained spine doctors. We are just fellow spine sufferers who can share our experiences and understand how this can feel to live with spine problems.

I see that you have seen doctors in London. I am in the UK too.
    Have you had any xrays of your spine? It is strange that even though you are having so much pain, the doctors cannot see anything on the MRI scan, especially as this has been going on for seven years.

I had a problem with my lumbar spine that was initially detected on an x-ray. When I had an MRI scan, this showed that I had severe nerve compression which is what was causing my bilateral sciatica. I had a pars defect that had received a stress fracture and my vertebrae had slipped forward. This is a spondylolisthesis. They explained to me that I would have had this since I was a child/teenager. I did end up having a spinal fusion that dealt with the instability that my spine had and got rid of the awful sciatica that it was causing.

The only person who can determine what is causing your pain is a medically trained person who can do an examination of your spine and view tests done to see what is going on. Even this is proving very difficult!

The only thing I can suggest is to note down everything that you notice about your pain.
    What things cause it? Activity? Certain positions? Sitting? Standing? Walking?
    Where do you get the pain?
    How long does it last?
    What makes it feel better? Lying down? Sitting down? Leaning forward? Walking?
    Can you get rid of it by adopting certain positions?
    How long can you stand still?
    How long can you walk before getting pain?

The more information you can give the doctors, the better the chance that they will have an idea of what may be going on.

I really hope that they will reach a diagnosis with you and that they will be able to help you with the pain.

You will find a lot of support on this site from people who understand how frustrating and limiting back pain can be.