Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Brace ?

How long is a back brace worn after laminectomies now?

I had a lamenectomy in 2002 and left the hospital with a band-aid and no brace

Have the surgeons gone BACK to having their patients wear back braces now and does anyone know why?

Thanks and God bless

• i think it really depends on the doc. my first 2 surgeries were microdisectomies with hemi-laminectomies. brace for the 1st was a couple of weeks at most, 2nd surgery it was 6 weeks. meanwhile new surgeon and a lumbar fusion, and i think i wore it maybe 4 weeks total. my cervical fusion, i wore the collar for i think at most 2 weeks. (of course that was partially me cause i couldn't stand the thing) but if i had my old surgeon do that surgery, it would have been 6 weeks in the collar.

it really depends on the doc and what he wants to do.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • I had a two level (L3-L5) PLIF fusion last year. I did not wear a back brace. The doctor told me that I was to young for a brace, I was 32. Had to be real disciplined not bend, lift, or twist.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I had a MIS TLIF on 5/1/13 and wore a compression brace for 6 weeks after surgery, I am 26.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • I wore a hard one that went from the very bottom of my body to above my boobs... June, July, August, September (last year) in Florida. I survived it by staying positive and laughing about it, but it was miserable. I was 32 and was fitted for the brace in the hospital before leaving to go to the in patient rehab hospital. Originally I was not suppose to need a brace so I guess that makes sense as to why I wasn't fitted for one before the hospital. However, my back needed more extensive repairs and my body sort of crashed so in the brace I went for three months. While at the inpatient rehab I was in the "Spinal Cord Trauma" Wing (adults). All but one patient was older than me, usually by 30 years..... some of them wore soft braces very few (maybe 2 but I can only remember 1) had hard braces (I'm not including the neck collars). Once I was released from there and did out patient PT my therapist was surprised at my brace and I was surprised she had me take it off for PT... I did ask my surgeon about this specifically. He said that now days bracing is much less popular because its been shown to cause core muscles to become weaker thus impeding the healing process... Some doctors choose to use soft braces sort of as a "middle grounds", and some don't use any braces, and some still use them all the time. He uses them very little, but in extensive cases he feels they are needed.... I had to wear mine a full 3 months total, and was told I could start to "ween" myself off of it at 3 months and needed to be out of it completely by 4 months. It took me exactly 0 minutes to "ween". I took that thing off and never put it back on again....lol. Don't know if this is helpful to you... but I can tell you that one of my friends put a huge super man logo (in pink) on mine (I wore it UNDER my clothes once I was released from the hospital, but on top in the hospital because that was the nurses preference, it was easier for them to help me adjust it, etc.)... The first time my son saw it (he was 4) he screamed, "Mommy!!! You are a super hero!!!"
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • StenosisRose:

I just returned from my first post op appt (6 weeks) with my ortho surgeon. This was my and his second attempt at fusing L4-S1 postirularly (spelling). Obviously, the first attempt (January 2011) failed.

This surgery was all for nothing. When I left the hospital I was wearing a velcro back brace with instructions to wear it all the time unless I was sleeping or showering. Also, I was instructed to wear an Orthofix bone growth stimulator four hours per day until he said to stop or the device gave out. Neither of these were used the first surgery.

During my consult today my surgeon told me to reduce my use of the back brace by 25% each week for the next month. He wants my lumbar muscles to regain strength gradually. This was good news. In my case this velcro brace was a severe form of calorie control. With that thing strapped around my stomach I can not consume much. I also noticed that whenever I took the brace off I could feel the difference it made, consequently weakening my lumbar muscles, which is a downside to their use.

My 6 week xrays taken today are promising with evidence of bone growth, so I will give the velcro brace and the BGS some credit. Fingers crossed that this will be the last time I have to undergo spinal fusion - especially on the same location. I am 62 - was 59 when I had the initial surgery.

As was stated, each patient is different, each surgeon is different and each situation is different. Whatever the doctor prescribes or restricts, follow his/her instructions. That surgeon has experience with curative efforts. The patient has experience with pain. Communicate and cooperate.

Wishing you all the best.