Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stop Miralax (laxative) ASAP and Pain Pump recall info

thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
edited 07/23/2013 - 11:55 PM in Chronic Pain
Am lying flat on my back and did some more research then started looking at medical implants. I know lots of people on this site have pain pumps so this should interest you guys if you don't know already. The info only came out at the end of June 2013.

This is a quote from another health site that is a sticky note at the top. I noticed this laxative was still on sale at my Chemist so guess some people who read this site are still taking it.

"Hello to all!

Being on pain medication myself I know what kind problems it causing when it comes to bowel movements (sorry to talk about it, but it every day struggle for many).
I was on Miralax for years and despite it's nasty taste, it served the purpose.
I had to go and see my Internist and he asked me about all medications, vitamins I am taking. When I mentioned Miralax he jumped out of his seat saying that only 3 days ago he received Red Flag on this drug b/c its right now under watch for being very toxic. The main ingredient of this product is Polyethylene Glycol which is simply... antifreeze the agent we use in cars.

It may cause severe kidney damages; neurological issues, Autism in children (!!!!) and so much more.
Despite it all, for some reason pediatricians prescribe it to very young kids, as young as 3 years old.
So once again, it takes many people with kidney and other damages, destroyed lives to take it off shelves?

Knowing that many of you may be on Miralax, I decided to share with you what I learned.

Feel good and best wishes"
************* (think he/she is a moderator)

** Warning **

it is advisable to discuss this with your Doctor before stopping prescribed medication

Laxative links

Pain pumps information

Link to pain pump recall - please read all information as I do not have a pain pump but came across this. There is a recall of the ones not yet implanted but if you have any ISSUES with the Meditronics pumps and have one of these models you should contact your doctor immediately, he/she should have received a warning about these pain pumps. If you have one please research further through the FDA site as it seems some are still OK.

• I need to research this as this is my go-to de-stopper-upper. I don't use it often, as I've been on pain medication for many years, but I have times when I need help. And if this is true, then dang - I just bought a full bottle! Guess I'll have to go back to the expensive Colace.
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 07/22/2013 - 6:55 AM
    You take a whole bottle of that mixed with gatorade to prep for a colonoscopy. Hopefully next time they will have a different prep, if not I'll be asking all kinds of questions.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 07/22/2013 - 7:12 AM
    Almost all of the laxatives and stool softeners contain Polyethylene Glycol. And yes, Davrunner, it's used in prep for a colonoscopy as well. That's because it cleans out the intestines so well, but it also kills all the good bacteria right along with it which leaves the intestines and colon open for infections and all sorts of other things.

I'm thinking I'll switch to something natural. There was an advertisement for Something-C that's a natural herb, softens the stools and makes them more watery.

My goodness, who-da thought?
  • There are a whole lot of laxatives that contain this ingredient as Cath says. I take Movicol and this is on the no no list as well. I have PMed the moderators to see if they can find out more. I have to take them everyday. At he moment taking Nu Lax which is natural but will be checking everything from now on. Don't really want to be full of anti freeze - although it's winter here - might keep me warm.
  • Laurie.SLLaurie.S Posts: 1
    edited 07/23/2013 - 3:23 PM
    I just started using Miralax. It seems to be the only thing that works for me. I've tried all kinds of different things and nothing works as well as this stuff. Please keep us steed if any one comes across something similar and is safe.
  • I was told if you take it just while your on pain meds short time, its fine.You just cant take it everyday.
    Kathy B
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 07/23/2013 - 11:54 PM
    Here's are some links. I'm used to research and am flat on my back at the moment so started looking at medical device warnings as well. Know there are a lot of people looking at implants of pain pumps. Worth taking a look at the FDA warnings on these.

You need to follow the links for pain pumps and read the warnings that he doctors have as they are not recalling all of them - they are stopping using them though and if you have any problems you are supposed to contact your doctor immediately if the alarms go off. I haven't got one so don't know if you have already been warned.

Link for pain pumps

Link for laxative

I'm not taking it sticking to dried fruit, organic laxatives or flaxseed oil as suggested. It's up to each person what they decide.
  • im not really prescribed the miralax but sometimes since i regularly use hydrocodone/apap everyday and plus my bowels dont work because of spina bifida i dont use miralax but maybe a few times a month at most but now im gonna talk to doctor to see if theres something that works as good. i have horrible luck as far as laxatives go,everything i take either dont work,gives me horrible cramps,makes me go straight from constipation to explosive diarrhea (sorry i had to say that) so i started miralax because it would make me eventually have diarrhea but i could stop it before i made myself have it. thanks for letting me and everyone else know!!!!!
    im miranda,im 19,have spina bifida,have severe chronic low back pain,hydrocephelus w/ vp shunt,and have to be always in a wheelchair because i cant walk more than like 5 seconds at one time.
  • I haven't tried Miralax. Instead, I use EmergenC powder and probiotic pills (Philips Colon I think). Vitamin C in high doses has a laxative effect. There is also a natural product called Natural Calm that is a magnesium powder. It will make you go naturally if you either work up to the recommended dosage or just take 2 tsp. Ground flaxseed also helps me, don't take too much when you start (I add it to yogurt). I cannot believe that Miralax is basically antifreeze! I just wanted to suggest some of the things that help me. Also drinking A LOT of water helps me keep things moving. Good luck everyone. I'm sorry your go-to can no longer be your go-to.
    Chronic pain since 2007. Have scoliosis. Had ACDF surgery for C5 Dec 2011. Sick of dealing with pain. I just turned 32 and struggle through but work full-time in IT.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    When in "trouble" I have found sodium bisacodyl to work the best. The latest product from our pharma friends is called Relistor ... which is a self administrated sub cutaneous injection that reverses the Mu opiod effect in the colon itself - reversing the opiate induced paralysis of the colon. I have read that Miralax should not be used for more than 7 days and is not pediatric approved. Never did crap for me!!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• This was my go to laxative as well...

Need to find something that works just as well...as along with the constipation I get wicked hemorrhoids....
    Je t'adore