Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Soft Cervical Fusion?

I am new, and hope I do this correctly. 23 years ago, I had fusion surgeries at C5 thru T1. My surgeon has determined that the degeneration, pain, etc. at the C4-C5 level has advanced to the point where an additional fusion is required. He is calling the procedure a "soft" anterior fusion, in an effort to maintain some mobility. After scouring the Web, I am unable to find any definitive information using that particular terminology, and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a fusion of this type, or may have experience with such a surgery ....?
Thanks .... Miss May

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/22/2013 - 11:47 AM
    I haven't ever heard that term either.

Hopefully someone else will be along with some information for you.

Do you have a date for your surgery?
    You have had a nice long time before needing anything else done if your previous surgery was 23 years ago.
    Hopefully this 'soft' fusion will be the final one that you need. :-)

I think if I was you and was unable to find out any information about a 'soft cervical fusion' I would write to the surgeon and ask him to explain how it works.

• Yes, 23 years has been a long time ... Wish I could say it has been pain-free, but it hasn't. However it has been manageable, until the last couple of years. I am, sadly, also looking at a fusion at T1-T2, but that is down the road. I know I will have another consult with my surgeon before the surgery, and will get lots of info then. I was just being kind of curious and even more curious when I couldn't find anything on the web. Thanks for your quick reply!
    Thanks .... Miss May

• When you find out what soft cervical fusion is please come and educate us! :-)

You have time to prepare your home for your return from hospital and organise support and help.
    I am sure that while you are preparing for your surgery and afterwards, during your recovery, you will find friendship and support from others who are going through a similar situation. I don't think that there is a September Surgery thread yet (I am assuming that is when your surgery will be ??) You could start one once you have your date for surgery, or if you don't feel you can, then watch out for someone else to start it and join in.

I was told before my ACDF that I may need another surgery from the back afterwards to decompress my cord even more. I am very happy to say that after a full spine MRI, my surgeon is happy that my cord is now freed up with fluid around it so no surgery needed right now.

I hope that your surgery will leave you in less pain and more able to be active. :-)