Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am an 18 year old female 5 weeks post surgery. I injured my back July of 2009 (14 years old). Of course doctors did not believe I was really in pain because of my age so nobody took me seriously until last year when I found an Orthopedic surgeon. I had a large central herniation with bone spurs causing pain down the left side of my butt, hip, back of my leg and foot. After the surgery I didn't have any leg pain at all. A couple weeks ago I had a couple sharp pains in the butt but nothing too serious. Now my hip is almost constantly in pain. I can't put any kind of pressure on it. For example sitting down or laying on my hip causes a lot of pain. I'm also having pain in my calf. I can't get my leg straight without a good amount of pain. I was diagnosed with mild congenital stenosis a few years ago but nobody has ever acted like that could be causing me any pain. I have also been having pain in my upper back and my pinky fingers keep going numb. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of what could be causing the pain. I know the nerve might just be "angry" but I'm scared of re-herniation and needing more surgery. Any input would be helpful!!

• I'm sorry you are going through all this at such a young age. I think you and your parents should call the surgeon and tell them what you are experiencing. You have justifiable concerns. I have had pain in my upper back and at one point it was cause by my neck/cervical spine and another time it was from an "angry" nerve in my shoulder.

Good luck and good health.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/23/2013 - 1:45 AM
    I am also sorry that you have needed to have spinal surgery as such a young age.
    How did you injure your back?

I also have congenital stenosis and I think that unless it is extreme, it in itself doesn't cause the problems, but when we have herniated discs or bone spurs, there is less room for them and so we are supseptible to problems quite quickly. I have had both lumbar and neck fusions of my spine.

I agree with KarenD that you should speak to your surgeon about this return of pain and the hip problems you are experiencing. You are still early on in your recovery and nerves can flare up if we over do it too early, but if this doesn't settle down again quite quickly I think we need advice from the surgeon. He may want to do some tests.

The pain in your upper back and pinky finger is very unlikely to be from your lower back.
    I noticed pains and symptoms in my neck, arms and hands that were very obvious after my lumbar fusion. I was told that as my lumbar pain had been dealt with, I then became more aware of the symptoms that were coming from my neck.

Please let us know what your surgeon says. Hopefully it is just the nerves complaining and will settle down but he does need to know about it, especially as you are so early on in your recovery.
  • Beth94BBeth94 Posts: 21
    edited 07/23/2013 - 8:30 AM
    I have an appointment tomorrow so hopefully I will get an answer.

• Good luck for tomorrow. :-)
    Let us know how you get on.
  • Beth94BBeth94 Posts: 21
    edited 07/25/2013 - 9:48 AM
    My doctor looked at the list of exercises I was doing at PT and he decided that they were having me do too much this early. He said my muscles were being overworked and my nerves were being irritated. He wants to keep an eye on it so I have another appointment in a few weeks to see how in doing.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/25/2013 - 10:50 AM

Beth, it is good to hear that your doctor is aware of the PT that you are doing.
    Let's hope that if you ease back on the exercises, things will settle down again.
    Take care :-)