Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF 6 months

I'm a 40 yr old male who had ACDF at the levels of C5/6 and C6/7 in Jan 2013. I've gone thru 12 sessions of PT,weekly massages with a chiropractor and taking 10 mg of Flexeril as needed. I'm still dealing with chronic muscle spasms (or so I think) in the back of my head at the base of my skull (on the left side). I'm wondering if someone can tell me if the spasms eventually go away, or will it be something I have to deal with for the rest of my life. It gets pretty depressing as I thought the surgery would solve my chronic neck pain. I'm curious how other people's symptoms have been between the 6 month-1 year mark.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/24/2013 - 12:14 AM

First I would say that I have heard many people complaining of neck spasms after an ACDF surgery.
    I had an ACDF of C3/4/5 and beforehand my surgeon warned me that I would have a very stiff and sore neck and shoulders afterwards. He didn't say how long it would last, so I can't advise you there.

I have weekly physio and my therapist works on trigger points that I have in my neck and mid back. Each week they are back again. He thinks it could be that my back has got into the habbit of tightening these muscles. My surgery was last November, so even longer ago than yours.

Is your surgeon aware of these spasms you are still suffering with? If not, perhaps you should contact him and ask for his advice.
    I was also wondering if you have been prescribed muscle relaxers?
    I haven't, but on difficult days I find applying heat is helpful.

I hope that you will find a way to relieve these spasms and they they will fade away before long.
    I think you will find the support from other spine pain sufferers here very helpful.
    I hope that you will get some more replies from others who have dealt with this problem that will encourage you.

Stay hopeful, there is still time to continue recovery. My surgeon told me that at 12 months out, we would know how much help I had got from the surgery, but until then things could still improve. :-)

• Thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen my neurosurgeon since 8 weeks past surgery. He seemed to check out once the incision healed. I last saw my ortho doctor at 4 months post surgery. The ortho doctor did prescribe 10mg of Flexeril to take as needed. I usually take them at night as it makes me drowsy for my desk job during the day. I will probably set up an appointment. I have found heat works better than ice post surgery. I also apply Bio-Freeze 3-4 x a day. I seem to get appropriate sleep, the spasms never keep me awake, so that is good. It's just troublesome that the spasms seem to last all day. They are especially occuring in the back left side of the neck on the base of the skull. It's like getting a charleyhorse in your calf that doesn't go away ever. I feel like it's groundhog day....get up and experience the same thing over and over. I also wonder if the fact that the discs above the levels fixed are causing the pain....I hope not.
  • I'm 15 month post op ACDF. I had just one level. I did have some mild spasms. They stopped around 9 months. Every now and then I will get a twitch, but honestly, I can't say that it's not something that is normal and wasn't there before and I'm just super aware of it now... hang in there.
    Candy in Austin, TX
    Single cervical fusion April 2012 through ER
    L4-L5-S1 lumbar fusion 7/31/2013
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/28/2013 - 12:12 PM
    I notice that you are a new member. Welcome to Spine Health! :-)
    I see that you are about to have a lumbar fusion.

Do you have degenerative problems with your spine? Or were you in an accident?
    I had my lumbar fusion first and then two levels of my neck fused.

Are you all set and prepared for your lumbar fusion?

Do ask any questions that you have about it. :-)