Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical fusion issues

Hi.. I'm looking for some help. In 2007, I had disc herniation in my neck. I was in extreme pain, I was admitted to the hospital and operated on the next day. I had no time for any decisions. The neurosurgeon claimed it had to be done. He fused C5 and C 6. I healed fairly well, and returned to work. My work is extremely physical . It requires lifting, esp.. over my head. 2 years later, start having pain again. They send me to a pain clinic, I receive nerve blocks and cortisone shots. They advise me I have degenerative discs. I continue to suffer along at work, I never miss a day.

However, my nights become a torment, I average 3 hours sleep, the pain and numbness is unreal. I go back to the same neurosurgeon, he informs me, I have herniated 2 more disc. I am now 3 weeks post op. The pain and numbness prior surgery was in my right arm. I know have stabbing pain my my left shoulder, it radiates down almost to my elbow. I get a weird feeling like bugs crawling on my arm, but no, bugs? I also have a stingy feeling, like a bee sting? My arm is itchy? My arm arm is fine, weak of course, but fine.

I had a graft, we used my own bone. My hip Is healing slower. He took bone from the same hip as last time. It does seem much harder to walk, I am however 49, maybe my advanced age? This surgery fused C 3 and C4.
I was reviewing the MRI findings from 2007, it claims i have disc protrusions at C2, C3, C,3&C4,C4&5,C6-C7. I can get no real answers from my neurosurgeon . He is hard to understand. My question is... Can I return to my job, a job I've done for ten years, or should I look for work elsewhere? Is this why my disc continue to herniate? Will my other disc give out also? Has anyone ever had itching, bee stinging pain in an extremity after a fusion? Sorry for the rant.... Thanks

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am sorry to hear that you have more issues after the surgery. This is only my opinion and you should always seek professional medical advice. If you have spine issues, you should ask your doctor if all the lifting might be causing all your issues in your neck. Have you sought any conservative treatments to help with your pain? Also, I would see a chiropractor to assess your spinal alignment. If you are limping from the hip pain, it can cause your gait to change and give you pain elsewhere. Always seek every possible cause of your pain before surgery. I wish I did not have surgery now that I know my cause of pain was due to a short leg and pelvis instability. Good luck and keep getting different professional opinions and try alternative treatments such as physical therapy, acupuncture, etc.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• In answer to your question of whether anyone else has had itching and bee stinging pain after a fusion, yes! I also get the bugs crawling feeling.

I have only had one neck fusion surgery, but two levels were fused - C3/4 and C4/5.
    I know that all the levels below these are very degenerated and my neurosurgeon has said that the discs are gone and I am either already, or nearly, autofused.

Before my surgery I was told that I must be very careful because I had cord compression. I asked if the danger was if I got hit on the head and my neurosurgeon said that but also if I had a strong pull or push on my arms. After neck surgeries we are told not to lift too much weight of to lift our arms above our heads. This is because our nerves and the muscles that they feed in our arms originate in our neck.

If your work is physical and involves lifting weights especially over your head, then I think if I was you I would look into getting another job. Would your work be able to give you different work other than this lifting? As for if you can return to your job, you will have to talk to your surgeon about this. Ask him about your fusions putting more pressure on other levels and Adjacent Disc Syndrome. He is in the best position to know how likely that will be for you as he knows the condition of your neck and how likely it will be to be able to cope with a physical job.

Personally I don't think I would want to risk it.
    I look forward to getting to know you better. :-)