Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worse after surgery!!!!! Ugh!!!!

Hello! May 22 2013 had lam/microdisctomy l4, l5-s1. Woke up in recovery left side from buttocks to groin down entire leg to toes numb/tingling. I still have complete numb above knee (thigh, buttock, groin). And last 3 toes. The muscle knot in my calf has gotten better just tender to touch.

Doc swears the numbness/tingling is temp... Is been over 2 months. 6 day PACk and a month on nuranton did not do much. Since June 17th I have horrible pain in leg - starts in lower back and shoots down. So. Basically I am in worse pain then before operation.

MRI on July 5th showed that discs did not reherniate and that there is scare tissue surrounding the nerves. Wants to start PT I am currently still on STD. Doc said he saw neves that were very inflamed.

Sept 15th wil be 2 years since I was rear ended while at a stop sign. During this time I have had 3 failed epid. Shots. 3 rounds of pt that made me feel worse and a tried a chiro after a few sessions I stopped it, as I was feeling worse.

Question is...will the numbness/tingling go away? Leg pain.. After 5 mins of walking or being on my feet, I have to sit or get off my leg due to severe pain. In your experience, will this go away?

I am 37 years old and very frustrated with pain after surgery!!!

Thank you in advance for your replies.

• My entire left leg went numb at one point. I have had 5 surgeries on my back and the feeling in my left foot has never come back, but my leg is doing better. I have heard that it can take over a year for nerves to heal.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Are u working with lost feeling in your foot? I always put on a happy face thinking this is going to go away, but now I am developing anger. I have 3 young kids, my life has completely changed since this accident. Completely scared this pain and numbness will last years or even be perm.

Sorry for the pity party. Just another night I can't sleep because of pain which was supposed to stop once I had this surgery.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Yeah, I used to work as a respiratory therapist. My foot has been numb for so long that I am used to it. Last year I had two fusions and really bad staph infection. Now I am on disabilty for my back and other health reasons. I am fixing to have a spinal cord stimulator trial due to my low back and leg pain that I still have.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 07/28/2013 - 4:04 PM
    I had L45s1 ALIF surgery march13th and had very bad leg pain down left leg.Ive been on Gabapentin.I started pt a mth ago and the leg pain is getting better everyday.I hope it continues.Good luck kathy
    Kathy B
  • hi... I had surgery april 1... since right after surgery in recovery, I ended up with horrific shooting "electrical" pain in my left leg - numb toes, a huge ball at the bottom of my foot, feels like a baseball... hard to walk at all... my surgery was really prompted by nerve damage in my RIGHT leg... a lot of PT, I still walk with a hitch, it's been 4 weeks, nerve pain is the worst, took myself OFF the Neurontin because there was no fix from it, and it didn't really help with the nerve pain except in the very beginning when it was 1000's of milligrams...and it was making me feel crappy and brittle and fat. From prior posts...>>>>> bad leg pain down left leg/foot has been numb /Completely scared this pain and numbness will last years or even be perm.<<<<< have been told that it takes over 6-8 months, and or a year have been told a 'millimeter' a day - which, length of my leg ends up being 2 years... till it gets to the bottom of my foot ! so it is really scary...
  • It can take a long time for a injured, mad nerve, or group of nerves to heal up. 2 months is not a lot of time for nerves to heal. Don't throw in the towel just yet. Give it some more time and listen and do what your Dr. says to do. Is he a spine only surgeon and Fellowship trained?

Wishing you the best.........
  • Thanks...I am starting PT on Monday. It's just so frustrating, thinking I was going to be pain free after surgery. I worry about STD running out.....Disney trip in September. My doc is a surgeon only. I have a family member that is friends with the medical director at RWJ and he recommended this surgeon. I feel like I am in good hands, I just am fustrated.

• newjersey05nnewjersey05 Posts: 23
    edited 09/01/2013 - 5:16 PM
    Pain in lower back shooting down leg. Going for EMG next week, possible RSD and cronic pain. Numbness/tingling is still there and now gets worse after 5 mins of walking. Cant sit for more then 5 mins without massive pain. UGH!!
  • EMG showed scar tissue is covering and pressing on the S1 nerve causing the sharp pain in my lower back, waist, shooting down my leg. S1 nerve is moderate to severely damaged. PM doc did the EMG, going back to my surgeon this week so that he can discuss the results with me. I need to start thinking SSD as my STD runs out in Nov. I can walk for about 5 mins or less, I can't food shop, had to rent a motor chair for a vacation. I'm only 37!!!!

My main question: I came out of the surgery with left side numb/tingling, so was it damaged in surgery? I want to see how my surgeon responds.
  • Sorry to hear yiu are not doing well

My surgery was for foot droo, nunbness and weakness

Well my weakness is lessening and the muscles in my foot/ankle are getting stronger

But my numbness has increased substantially. Dont gei it????

Surgeon wants me to start takling LYRICA but with this huge kidney stone its a contraindication for now

I wish the numbness would go away and my foot not feel like walking on mushy padding all of the time
    I want to feel the floor totally with bear feet

This stinks, but i keep hearing, it takes a very LONG time for nerves to heal

I think my damage is permanent

Hugs to you from your NJ buddy
  • rose, I was just thinking about you. How is it going? My doc appoint got canceled today so I go on Monday. I've noticed a difference, on the side of my left foot, the pain is unbearable. This is something new from about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to ask doc if that is part of RSD. I have worn sneakers 1x since May. It's been flip flops only otherwise my left foot is on fire and feels like it wants to blow up. I feel the same way about my nerve damage, just the feeling based on EMG results it's permanent. I took lyrica a long time ago, did nothing for me. Waiting till Monday to see what the plan is!!
  • The more i do, the worse the muscle spasm in my butt gets

Am i on my way to "throwing out my back again?
  • newjersey05nnewjersey05 Posts: 23
    edited 10/03/2013 - 7:23 AM
    oooo muscle spasm in butt...ouch! my left butt is numb but no spasms there. I'm on valium to control my lower back spasms, as long as a double the dose, it really helps.

being we are in the same area, do you personally know any SSD attorneys? I'm going to start to research some, but figured I'd start with recommendations, if so...message me? thanks! Being my doc appointment got canceled yesterday, I made them give me a copy of my EMG results. googling the lingo now, but my S1 is shot :(
  • Hi
    I was told they are best in the state and they did a great job for me

NEWARK NJ. 07102

I know its newark and a long way
    But i onky had to go to the office once or maybe twice

They are excellent
  • Hi
    I was told they are best in the state and they did a great job for me

NEWARK NJ. 07102

I know its newark and a long way
    But i onky had to go to the office once or maybe twice

They are excellent
  • Not only was this to be a private message, but my dopey Kindle. Made me think it did not go through, so i hit the save button again.

Sorry, i guess my Kindle and I are very tired today

Time for a nap