Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What meds do you use to manage your pain?

What meds do you use to manage your pain?
I use vicodin 10. Its the only thing that relieves my pain since its my spine, muscle relaxers don't work, I've tried everything. I also use Voltaren topical gel to take the edge off

• Before my surgery I wouldn't find much relief from the pain killers or nerve medicine supplied to me. I rarely take painkillers and when I do, I take Advil or something of the link just to get through the day (by my doctor's orders).
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • 1ofmanyinpain11ofmanyinpain Posts: 60
    edited 07/29/2013 - 6:05 AM
    Oxycodone 15 mg. 6 times a day right now... As of next month I will be on something else with those for BT pain, not 6 of them of course... I know that my PM Dr. wants me to take Opana ER but I'm on Medicare and they stopped covering it in April of this year... my other options are Methadone ( was on that for about 10 years and really don't want to take it again) the Dr. said that you can get a trash can full of it for about $50... LOL he's right... Fentanyl Patch, which he doesn't like because you never know exactly...or even "in the ballpark" what amount you are actually getting in your system. Morphine...I'm allergic. and I think that's about it...For me anyway. So they have already sent in paperwork for a Prior Auth. to Medicare and they hope they will cover it by my next appt. on Aug. 21... So I guess my pain meds are literally "Up in the air"...

I have been a CPer for 13 years so I have been on about anything and everything for pain... except Oxycontin... never tried that. so I know what works and what doesn't.. I have been literally "Begging" to be put on a Long Acting pain med for months..and was always dismissed... The only reason they are doing it now is because they made a "boo boo" with my scripts for the past 6 months.. They changed me from 10 mg. Oxycodone to the 15 mg. form at one of my injection appts. The next time I went they gave me both scripts... 120 of each... I thought it was because I mentioned how hard it was to find the 30 mg. Oxycodones... So for 6 months I got both... I didn't think anything about it because I had been on much higher pain meds at my previous PM Dr. office... then last week the Dr. came in and told me that they were so sorry that they had made such a huge mistake with my scripts...that it really "looked bad" for them to be writing both short acting meds for me a month... So he finally said those magic words...."let's put you on a LA med"... I was happy. But now I wonder what it will be... I won't know until I go back...

so, that's what I take...
  • mirandammiranda Posts: 9
    edited 07/29/2013 - 10:55 PM
    i use neurotin 900mg in morning,1,200mg in afternoon,900mg in evening,methadone 15mg every 6hrs for pain,baclofen 10mg 3x a day,flexeril 10mg 1-2x a day,and take hydrocodone/apap (tylenol) 5-325mg 1-2tablets every 6-8hrs as needed i used to work but after 3months of taking it almost every day,1-2x a day my body has gotten used to it so it doesnt work no more but daily meds still works alittle. every medication your body eventually gets used to after awhile of regular use unfortunatly :-\ hope this helps cuz i really think you should talk to your doc about getting on these meds if you havent tried em before! have a great night! :-) <3
    im miranda,im 19,have spina bifida,have severe chronic low back pain,hydrocephelus w/ vp shunt,and have to be always in a wheelchair because i cant walk more than like 5 seconds at one time.
  • I take up to 5 of the 4 mg hydromorphone (dilaudid) for BT pain and 1 of the 16 mg extended release hydromorphone (Brand name Exalgo) a day for long acting. I also take 900mg gabapentin a day but I am cutting down to 600 and then maybe back to 300mg due to excessive swelling in my feet and hands.

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Methadone 10 mg. tablets- 9 tablets daily (3 tabs. 3x daily).
    Dilaudid 8 mg. tablets- 6 tablets daily (2 tabs. 3x daily).
    Valium 10 mg. tablets. 3 tablets daily (I usually only take one tablet a day, if it's needed for spasms)
    Ibuprofen 600mg. 1 tablet (as needed for occasional headache).
    Fish oil (keep cholesterol levels down)
    Exercise (to maintain healthy weight)
  • Norco 7.5 - 3x's per day. Usually breakfast, lunch and dinner. Helps some, just doesn't last long enough.
    Robaxin 750 - 1 or 2x per day as needed. Mostly to help rest at night.

The rest of the day I just deal with the pain. The Norco I take at about 7 a.m. and by 10 or 11 it has worn off then I take another one at around 12 or 12:30 then by around 4 or so it's worn off so I take another one around 6 pm and by bed time (9 pm or so) it's worn off so I then take a Robaxin to help relax enough to fall asleep.
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Its easy to understand to identify what medications a person is on to manage their pains.
    It is much more difficult than what seems so easy.

First of all, there are different types of pains. For instance, a pain killer such as Oxycodone is not going to address a Nerve pain. Thati s best served using a medication specifically for never pain (ie Neurontin, Lyrica)
    Same as those nerve pain medications are not going to help someone who has constant spasms and leg cramps. That is best handled using Muscle relaxers.

So, to net it all out....There isn't one medication to handle everything. And even when you have the correct medications to address each issue, that may not be enough. Here is when I always talk about the Blend.

Take a look at: The Blend

Total pain management includes many things outside of pure chemical medications. There are so many avenues you can take in pain control, what works for one person, may not help another.

I've used the Western medicine view for years. Chemical medications, Chemical injections, etc. Only because I reached a point many years ago where nothing was helping, I started to look at the views of Eastern medication. There, chemicals are never used (ok, some one might correct me there). But its the more natural way to heal the body. I have had a great deal of success using Essential Oil Aroma Therapy, Relaxation Music Therapy, Meditation (that is not easy). My biggest success has come from a little man from Thailand. He performs deep tissue massage that is combined with muscle and tendon injuries to relieve pain. Honestly, he was the one person that has kept me out of a wheel chair.

The point I am trying to make here is that there is much more to pain relief than what our doctors told us at first and gave us some vicodin.

I will say, you need to have an open mind about all of this. Do you believe that laying on a foam roller, arms extended, opening your chest cavity , breathing from down deep inside, having the essence of rosemary in the air and playing some old Thai music will work?

If you said NO, Read about it some more,
    If you said MAYBE, then try it again
    If you said YES, you know what I am talking about
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Just hydracodone and gabapentin. Celexa froth depression. Ibuprofen, fish oil, vitamins, Bio flex, all sorts creams, salves, and ointments.

Tens unit....DVD of stretch exercises.

Some days are good. Some are not...
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/19/2013 - 4:30 AM
    It always makes me cringe when I read the what meds do you use threads........because there seems to be some belief that only medications will work to relieve the pain, and that is so far from the truth. It is using a combination of medication, therapy, excercise, ice, heat, massage, TENS, Rikki if you believe in it, accupuncture and so much more. As we have said many times, the use of pain medications are just one tool in the toolbox to learning to manage and cope with the pain we experience, and given that many of us will suffer for the rest of our lives, we have to ultilize those other methods as often as we can , for as long as we can, otherwise, there is nothing left for us, in 5 years or 10 or worse yet 20.....every doctor has a ceiling that they are willing to write meds for, and once you get to that ceiling, you will have a much more difficult time trying to find someone who will continue meds at high doses.
    The best thing that every pain patient can do is learn to use all of the other modalities first, and if they fail to reduce the pain to a level that you can tolerate easier, then talk to your doctor about other options.
  • BigRBBigR Posts: 48
    edited 09/19/2013 - 9:51 AM
    My wife is a nationally certified massage therapist (and no it's not all that awesome :) ). When she is able to work on me it does help the pain that is in my legs and feet. We also use a tens unit and an ice pack. The pain does ease for a short time, usually until I roll over or get up. You do have to incorporate other methods into your daily routine and not just rely on medication.
    Someone mentioned acupuncture to me once before but where I live I'd have to drive 100 miles round trip and holding a full time job, that's not really an option. Don't get me wrong - I have thought about self acupuncture - well, really just jabbing a needle in my eye sometimes... J/K
    Serious though, for anyone interested in massage, it does seem to help. Maybe not the problem, but it does the symptoms.
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)
  • CapsdadCapsdad Posts: 92
    edited 09/22/2013 - 4:12 AM
    I used to use perc 5 but I was taking 8 a day and it turned me into a raging **EDIT**. I went to vike 10 and been taking 2-4 a day and was fine with that. I had my second surgery two weeks ago so they gave me oxycodone 10 and Valium 10. I don't like them. They're way too strong. They tried me on nuerontin an lyrica. I had SEVERE psychotic reactions to them. I went back to 3 vike 10 a day and dealt with it as of yesterday since my pain is back BIG TIME, I just started the oxycode again. I'm NOT happy. Besides the constipation, there's sexual side effects. Any other men able to sex but NOT be able to finish?

Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation Team
    Please review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • Are your doctors aware that you are switching meds around like this? Do you see a pain management doctor? Because doing this, switching of meds without the doctor's consent can get you into a whole world of problems.......
    If the oxycodone is too strong, then you can cut it in half as long as it is not a extended release version of the medication.
  • My doc did the switching. I'm well aware not to switch on my own. Thank you though.
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • too often we see patients new to pain management using old meds when they 'run out' or take more than they are supposed to and that can get them dismissed pretty quickly from pain management and make it far more difficult to get treated.
    It was not my intent to upset you........
  • No offense at all. I genuinely appreciate your concern. Unfortunately I'm not new to this. I've been batting back issues for a decade. It's nice to know that people on these boards actually care.
  • I feel like my pain relief is very inadequate. I had a fusion last December and am now looking at another failing disc, possible rupture.

Medications: Percocet 10mg 3 x Day, Neurontin 400mg 2 x Day, Flexeril 10mg 2 x Day
    Also: Heat, Ice (Polar Cube), TENS, Arthritis Rub, Biofreeze
    I cannot take NSAIDS due to gastrectomy.

I am not getting adequate pain relief. I can barely walk and the pain never goes away, it just varies in intensity. I've complained to my doctor that the percocet does not last 8 hours, so he wanted me to try Tylenol 3 instead. I get nothing from it, it's like eating candy. I feel like nobody is listening to me!
    Large L5-S1 Disc Herniation
    Spinal Fusion scheduled for 12/17
    Multi-level disc degeneration and protrusions
  • I answered your post in the other forum. You need to find a pain management doctor and seek treatment there. Does your surgeon recommend more surgery? Unfortunately, there is no pain medication that is going to make stenosis disappear. The only 'cure' for that is to open up the areas of the spine where the nerves are compressed and remove some of the bone, assuming that the compression is what is causing the problem.
    As far as pain treatment goes, your GP is there to see to your overall health. He is not well versed in the many offerings of pain treatment out there today. I strongly suggest that you find out first what your surgical options are, and then talk to your surgeon about seeing a pain management doctor in the meantime.
    Nerve pain does not respond well to opiates, but the neurontin (gabapentin) can be dosed up to 3600 mg per day. There are several other medications that can be used quite effectively to treat neuropathic pain as well.