Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Level back fusion, nagging pain, where is the best place to retire?

I am a 63 year old female with spinal stenosis, DJD and a 4 level back fusion L2-S1. The first surgery was in 2008 ( I think) The second was 2012. Fusion for herniated disc L2-3 and removal of the hardware from previous surgery.

As most of us who have had back surgery or are living with constant, nagging, daily back pain, I wonder where is the best place to live/retire?

Currently, I am in Illinois where the winter are ok for me as I don't go out... afraid of slipping and hurting something. I don't mind the cold weather so much as I can easily put a heating pad on my low back and it's ok. Plus, I have bad asthma so I stay indoors mostly.

As for the Spring and Summer, I find with weather changes, humidity and rain episodes increase my back pain. I currently take Norco 7.5-325 maybe 2-3 tablets a day and Robaxin 750 1-2 tablets a day. I also use Lidoderm 5% patches on my lower back in the am and pm if I'm stiff and sore from housework etc.

I am thinking of moving to Florida about a block from the ocean. I grew up in Florida but I was young, no arthritic issues and had no back issues. With Florida being so humid, I am wondering if anyone out there lives in Florida, who's had back fusion and how they are coping with the humidity? I have visited friends who live near the beach in the late summer months and did not find I had any problems with my back. I am worried that I will ache every day even more so than I do now and so I hesitate to move.

Arizona is nice and my back did not hurt but I can't take the heat, I loved it there but again the heat gives me migraines if I am out for long lengths of time. But, I have not ruled it out as my back did not hurt and I found that the weather related headaches I get here in Illinois are not a problem in Arizona.

So, I am hoping I will hear from fellow back sufferers who may or may not be living in Florida and can give me a idea as to where they live and how they are coping with back pain and weather related issues.

• I live in North East Florida... love it... but it is always humid. My back doesn't do well with cold weather at all so I imagine we'll live here permanently. Of course, I'm from South Georgia so I've basically lived in this area my entire life, though I've traveled to 47 states and some out of country. Remember if you are worried about rain... it does rain a good bit here and all year round, not just one season.... but rarely ices (just a few times a year) and even more rarely snows.

Not sure what triggers your asthma, but remember lots of pollen here and a very long "growing season" so to speak. If you really are considering moving here, I suggest renting a house here for a month first. Tons of rentals near the beach.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.