Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My family does not understand me

martyjommartyjo Posts: 57
edited 07/30/2013 - 8:35 AM in Matters of the Heart
I'm a 63 year old female with a 4 level fusion L2-S1. Every day is painful. Now and again there is a day where I feel good and it's wonderful. My family does not want me taking my pain medication Norco 7.5-325 3 pills a day and a muscle relaxer. They think I am destroying my liver and kidneys. I don't know what to use when I am in pain almost all the time. I use Lidoderm patches 5% on my low back when I need them and Ibuprofen up to 4 pills a day when not taking the pain medication. They are always on my back about my pain pills. I have told them that Ibuprofen is not good to take all the time either. I don't know what to do. I do cut down on the pain medication if I have a good day, I don't take anything. But the good days are few and far between. Does anyone else have the same problem?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Take a family member to your next Dr appointment. Perhaps your Dr can explain why these meds are needed. Not only for pain control but quality of life. I had the same issue with my father and my PM sat him down and had a little talk with him. I have not heard a word from my father sense. Maybe all they need is a better understanding of what is exactly going on with you. Good luck
  • I agree with Jrlfrye. When I first went into post surgical pain management and realized that it was going to be ongoing, my husband went with me. My physiatrist and physical medicine and rehab doctor explained that he felt that I would be on meds for the long term, and he asked my husband if he had any concerns or questions regarding their use, and it allowed my husband to see that this was not something I wanted, but needed and there has never been any lack of support of my use of medications.
    Sometimes I think it should be mandatory for the patients family to recieve some type of education class or something about the proper use of pain medications for long term patients because I honestly believe that an open discussion regarding proper use of pain medications, and guidelines, opportunities to ask questions would eleviate a lot of the misconceptions about there about the proper use of the meds and ease a lot of their fears.
  • Well said Sandi and Susan!