Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper Lumbar to Mid-Back Pain after L5/S1 Fusion

On 5/1/13 I underwent an L5/S1 MIS TLIF procedure due to numerous issues including a pars defect, large paracentral herniation, spinal stenosis and DDD. The first 2 months out of surgery were great- no pain down my legs and the only pain I had was from surgery recovery. I am almost 3 months out and just saw my surgeon to ask about the pain traveling down my left leg again. He looked at my x-rays and we determined that the nerve must be irritated due to physical therapy- I explained that the one day they used the resistance bands I couldn't move after the stem treatment! He wants to see me back in 6 weeks with me following the no bending, lifting, twisting restrictions and more x-rays.

On another note, for the past few days I've been experiencing a tightness in my mid-back to upper lumbar spine (can't determine which level) - it is painful and when I move the wrong way it tends to get worse. I've pressed on it a little bit to try to massage it out, but it is sore to the touch. I've used heat (have that on now) and ice therapy as well as ibuprofen with no success.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, was it related to there being more pressure on the levels above the fusion? I'm wondering if I could have injured that part of my back (although I don't recall doing anything that would injure it).
Olivia Douglass
MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
advertisement

Comments

• Hi. I have a brand new TLIF done July 18th. I have uncontrolled pain since surgery. I watch everyday for symptoms, pains, new things. I am in the middle of trying to get assigned to pain management. I have suffered for to long and to many years.

I hope to never have injections again. I hope they figure out what is wrong with you and how things go. You are one of the few people here I have read that had TLIF. I am on a brace for 3 months and I find it hurts and causes pressure because my fat tummy isn't used to restriction. Do you have a brace?

Don't feel alone because your not.
    Jenn
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • Hello!!

I wore my brace for a total of 6 weeks, and then on and off when I needed it. I went to physical therapy after 6 weeks of recovery (for a total of 6 weeks, 2x a week). Overall the pain that I had before surgery was a lot worse than the random aches/pains that I have now during recovery. My TLIF was minimally invasive, not sure if yours was either... but perhaps that is the reason for your wearing the brace for 3 months?

What kind of uncontrolled pain are you having? Is it new pain or the same symptoms you had before surgery just worse? I hope to never have injections again either, but maybe after surgery the injections will be more effective... not sure.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13