Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm trying Neurontin for post surgery cervical spine pain. It seems to help already in the first week. I'm slowly increasing the dosage. Interested in how long people have been able to take this drug. Can you stay on it for a long time?

Are you able to socially drink on it? I'm thinking I would not take my night dosage on the weekends as I want to drink.

• catfishmanccatfishman Posts: 185
    edited 08/03/2013 - 5:41 AM
    i have been on gabapentin, same thing as neurotin for over 2 years, i drank in the past on it but not anymore since i take nucynta er. i do not think it is safe to drink on anyway
  • consume alcohol while taking gabapentin. It intensifies the effects of the alcohol, which includes respiratory depression since alcohol is a depressant in humans.
    Each pharmacy provides medication information when dispensing the prescription. It is wise to read it and learn about the possible interactions that come with taking a new medication.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 08/03/2013 - 8:51 AM
    i tried to take that stuff 12 years ago and i had the worse experience with it. i felt like a zombie and after a week or two, the dr gave up and took me off. i was also taking oxycontin at the time also. but as sandi said, any alcohol with most meds is bad. my rule, if taking meds, don't drink
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Thanks for taking the time to respond. I haven't been drinking at all. Probably wise to not start up til I'm off this stuff.

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 08/05/2013 - 2:44 AM
    There are tons and tons of post on this medicine if you search for them. I take it and it has given me such tremendous relief. It is currently the only medicine I take for my back issues. I started at a very low dose and increased so I didn't have near the side effects others have had. I've been on it for 2 years. I had tried to come off of it but my pain escalated and I was told if it helped to keep taking it that as far as medicines go, its pretty safe.... of course everyone is different and have different medical histories, so it might not be safe for everyone... that would be for the doctor to determine. I plan to keep taking it awhile longer.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • ten-13tten-13 Posts: 1
    edited 08/06/2013 - 9:04 PM
    I've been on gabapentin since 2004,it only helps with the numbness ,it has never helped me with pain relief.i don't drink,but,would never suggest to mix drugs of any sort with drinking
  • Have been taking this for the last year, it helps with the pain, during the day, but at night doesn't seem to work, as i wake up in the middle of the night.
    Seeing i take it three times a day, eight hours apart, i always wake up hours before the next one is due, guess the dr and i will work this out
    Sheila Coughtry
  • If you are experiencing pain during the night, talk to your doctor about shifting the timing of your doses. It may help if you take it a bit later at night, rather than how you are currently. My best friend took hers just as she was going to bed at night, and it worked wonders for her nightly leg pain.

• tried that, does not work, but when dr reads the new mri, going to ask him if maybe the dose I take is too low, I only take 300mgs a time so maybe need a stronger one at bedtime or something,hope he can figure it out, because the pain is in both legs now and sometimes awful, and seeing I work, need to get some good sleep, Put an eggcrate on my bad, helps some, but I think I need about and 8 inch thick one instead of a 3 inch
    Sheila Coughtry
  • The dosage range for Neurontin (gabapentin) is huge- from 100 mg -3600 mg per day so you are on the lower end of the dosage range. It is usually best to start low and then slowly go up in dosage and the same for when you go off it. Gabapentin is one of those medications that need to be titrated up and down so never just stop taking it......
  • Saw my dr yesterday, he upped the dosage to 600 mgs, helps a lot, and he determined that I had a bad batch of Neurontin, and told me not to take any more of it, and change my pharmacy, I did that, and what I got works. Guess this happens sometimes, hope it doesn't again. Also have been referred to a pm dr, have my first apt this coming Wednesday, am kind of scared what will happen, hopefully he will help me and make it so I can walk without leaning over, and give me some kind of normal life again. This pain came on so fast, and got bad so fast that I am not sure anything will be right again, want to try this instead of surgery, because I cannot afford to have surgery as I will loose my job and that would be bad at this time
    I thank you for telling me to ask my dr about the meds, I was afraid he would think I am a drug seeker, which I am not
    Sheila Coughtry
  • I had the nerve pain in my legs. After consulting my doctor, i stated with 200 mg neurontin twice a day at the bedtime. Now i found it is very useful and i have'nt get any side effects with it. Works for me and hope works well for you also.
  • Yikes!

Now we have to worry about getting BAD/OLD meds from our pharmacies?????

Are we becoming a third world country?

Have a blessed day

• I tried this medicine and it just didn't work for me. The 3 times a day dosage was to much for me. Plus, the quantity I had to take was to large in my opinion. I take lyrica twice a day.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • Hi

I found Neurontin to be very hard on my stomach. Now I take 75mg 2x a day. I do feel it only works for about 8 hours. I wonder if I should take it 3x a day. Side effects are minimal which is a nice change.