Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Five days Pre-OP

Hi just wanted to thank everyone for your comments on post L4L5 fusion. I will be having my fusion on Thursday 8/8. Do you have any suggestions a out preparing for the no bending, twisting or lifting? How long were you restricted to the ending twisting etc?

• My lamenectomies L3-4 and revision Lamebectomy L4/5 is on August 13 and i will be fitted for a back brace next week
    i was told no raising your arms above your head or trying to pick things off of the floor
    The brace is to "remind" patients not to twist or bend because you cant do these things while wearing a restrictive brace

I hope this helps a bit
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

The length of time for restricting the no bending, lifting, twisting post op varies by surgeon and the extent of the surgery. Some doctors don't use a brace at all, while others do, and some use a bone growth stimulator, and some don't....so you really need to discuss any restrictions with your surgeon prior to surgery, and any medical supplies you might need- ie - raised toilet seat, walkers, etc with him .
    Did you have a list of questions for him prior to scheduling your surgery? We do have surgery forums on Spine Health and it would be a good idea to read in them , there are tons of information there to give you some ideas regarding the recovery period and things you might want to think about having available.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 08/05/2013 - 5:00 AM

There is an August Surgery Buddies thread that you may like to join :

Also a couple of thread with useful information for people about to have spinal surgery :

I hope that these will prove helpful to you. Don't be scared by the Post-op Must Haves List. It is for both lumbar and cervical surgeries and covers many things, some of which you won't need, but it will give you an idea of some of the problems you may have and equipment that can help.

I had a L4/5 laminectomy and fusion and didn't have a brace or a bone growth stimulator. I had to avoid bending, lifting and twisting for the first 3 months. (No BLT!) I would advise you to move items used frequently in your house to about waist level so that you can access them without needing to bend, stretch or reach. A grabber is a must have item. You will be amazed at how often you will drop things. I had 3 of them (I borrowed 2). I had one downstairs, one in the bathroom and one in my bedroom. I used them often! I have read of people on here who drop their grabber and they are so pleased that they had another one to pick it up with!!

Good luck.

Do ask any other questions that you may have. We are a friendly bunch who are generally pleased to share our experiences. The support here from people who understand how difficult living with back pain and then recovering after spinal surgery can be, is amazing.