Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opana ER

I've been on this med only three days. The pain relief is great from it! My back hasn't felt better in a long time. However, my mood is very somber and I had a horrible night sleeping. To top it off, I had a nightmare that I was shooting my youngest son with a machine gun. Wake up to that mental image! The constipation is as bad as it's advertised to be.

For those who have taken this drug, do the side affects go away soon or not?

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• This medication controlled my pain better than any other med, however the side effects were just awful after 7 months I had to stop taking it, I could not take another dose because I was so nauseated. Everyone is different so not sure when your mood will change, at first for me I was in great spirits because like I said it helped with my pain, I was able to get out and do things and was able to go to Christmas eve with family, but by May of this year my body said "no more".

I had the consipation at first also, had to purchase some laxatives from a local drug store.

It would be intersting if anyone else on SH has been on this medication, I am just glad not to be taking this any longer.

Good luck and keep us updated.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • EMS
    This will not get better for you. A friend of mine used this and it got worse each day. Near the end of her using this she was talking suicide and would stab anyone I sent to help her.
    Belive it or not it got worse then that while she was on it. Be careful and don't hurt anyone near you. I can give you more info in a PM I sent you one already on this subject. This drug turned a cute small lady into a wild animal like person who thought everyone was out to get here. Again be careful it effects every one different but you are having issues way to early. With her it took months to build up but she was on a smaller.dose.
    She may talk with you but she does not remember what she said and did.
    It was a eye opener for me.

• paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 08/07/2013 - 4:11 AM
    EMS, hopefully this is just a minor adjustment for you and will go away soon. Good luck!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I was on Opana ER (10mg) for about 9 months with the immediate action Opana (5mg) for breakthrough. They both worked very well and I had no negative side effects. The only reason I stopped was that the Immediate release Opana was going through a re-forumula so it was not available in my area for over 6 months.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • twice- the first time, the nausea was a huge problem....so off it I went. When I tried it again, two years later, I had really good luck with it, and none of the side effects that I experienced previously and it was really great in the pain relief department, as well as lasted as long as it was supposed to, and no onset of minor withdrawal symptoms like while on oxycontin...
    Most meds, when started have side effects, and if I recall correctly, vivid dreams were one of them for Opana, subside in a week or so... I also found that changing my timing of dosing helped tremendously when it came to not being able to sleep so I changed my dosing times to 6 am and 6 pm- to avoid those problems, and that worked well, and using melatonin on the nights were I couldn't sleep worked great too.......
  • Thank you everyone for your comments. Rick, I REALLY appreciate the messages you've sent. A lot of good info. I had a talk with my family and employer this morning and explained the pros and cons to taking them meds. I've asked them to let me know immediately if I start to act weird, slur my speech or just become a different person than they are used to seeing.

I am going to contact my PM and let them know what side effects I'm having just so they are in the loop. I think I'm going to give it a few weeks and re-evaluate. The pain relief is unbelievable! That part I really like. But, if my mood doesn't change or I have any weird side effects then "game off". In a case like that, I'd rather have some pain with a less appropriate med than to be pain free, but zorked out of reality.

I simply do not see why people crave this drug to abuse. Grant it, I might have a tolerance for pain meds by now, but I do not get any euphoric feeling, no high, no nothing with just about each class of pain med I've been on. In a way, I guess that's a blessing in disguise.

Thanks again Rick for your PM's with info! I shared that with my wife last night. I think it was an eye opener for her.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and concerns!

• Well my PM Dr. is taking me off of Oxycodone 15 mg. and putting me on Opana ER when I go back on August 21... I have an X-friend that takes the Opana ER 15 mg. and I have noticed that in the past year he has changed so much.. He used to be nice and now he is the very opposite... I never thought it was his pain meds.. But he also has no reason to be taking this med...his Dr. is a quack... But now I am a little nervous about the change... I guess I'll discuss it when I go back... I'll look into it in the meantime...
  • I was given this after 4level posterior cervical did not help with pain much also nycenta 25 mg and 2 mg of another. No side effects. but wasn't enough pain meds still was a 9 but worked my way through it. After 4weeks once the narcotic 2drugs were done went to 10/325 norco 1 to 2 every 4 hours with flexeril and only had about 4 days of nausea which is supposed to be a side effect of stopping. Let me say that at that time 4 weeks in I still wasn't medicated enough. Still have a lot of shoulder pain but tens unit helps and ice. 6 weeks still taking about 5 norco but seems to keep me up when I take at night. Also 10 mg Valium or 10 of flexeril.
  • The past two days have been pretty good. My dreams are still pretty vivid, but not as upsetting as the first. I've found that the pain relief lasts about 9 hours and then drops off quickly. It's weird that when the pain relief drops off after 9 hours, my emotions get really sensitive. Then, after I take my next dose, mentally, I'm back to my normal self. I'm not having any nausea with this med which is good.

I really wish modern medicine would come up with a way to deal with the constipation pain meds cause! Metamucil, stool softeners, and suppositories still aren't doing much good. Sorry for the TMI!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 08/07/2013 - 9:09 AM
    Problems with paralysis of the ileum secondary to opiate use ...
    You may want to research Relistor .... It is a daily sub Q injection ... self administered that blocks the MU opiate receptors in the colon etc.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I was on Opana for a few years and it brought wonderful pain relief. The side effect, I could never sleep not even with sleeping pills.Average amount of sleep a night was 3 to 4 hrs. I just recently had surgery and my surgeon took me off the Opana and switched me to vicodin 750 x2 every 6 hrs. Im sleeping like a baby now. Hopefully I can also reduce those meds and be for the first time in 12 years be medication free. I had no withdrawal from stopping the Opana
  • Was that 7,5 Vicodin? Norco keeps me awake. I'm told that Vicodin and norco are the same except Vicodin has more Tylenol and norco has only 325. My dose is 10/325 1to 2 every 4 hours. Seems just to take edge off. Just was wondering.
    Having a little outing and am 6 1/2 weeks post op but need something's from store and feeling pretty stuffy constantly staying in. Hopefully does't do me any extra pain. I see the family is getting tired of doing everything for me. From what I've been reading I'm going to be on meds for awhile. I wish I had more time before surgery to do my research. SH has been my resource for just about everything.
  • I haven't had much trouble sleeping due to the meds, but I do sweat a lot when I sleep. As I've found out by trying different things, the 10mg Flexeril I take before bed causes the sweats. But if I don't take the Flexeril, I wake up with my back in spasms.

As far as the Relistor, I've been doing some research on it. It sounds good to try if I can't get the laxatives to work well, but I spoke to my medical director about it and he said that long term use may not be good at all, especially if you already have heart disease. The data is still inconclusive because the med wasn't "tracked" for cardiac events during testing. They are doing further studies to see if there is a link to cardiac events. Again, I'm not opposed to trying it if things don't start working better.

Thanks to everyone providing info on this string!
  • I just googled Opana and surprised by the positive comments. I'm glad it has worked for you guys but for me, zilch.

I had been taking various short-acting narcotics. Norco 10 seemed to work the best. Recently though I have been on the 5's. The 10's have me pretty much pain free if I don't over-exert but the 5's are okay too.

Recently though, I have been concerned about the long term effects of these meds and my doctor switched me to Opana er 10mgs on Monday. I was really expecting great things but NOTHING. No effects at all. Did the twice a day thing for two days and while I did feel some mild withdrawal symptoms from getting off of the hydro, the Opana DID NOT ONE thing for pain and actually gave me kind of a head ache and gave me insomnia.

On Wednesday, NS said to up it to four pills a day. Again, not a single thing. No headache but still not sleeping.

Today, doctor told me to stop taking it. I am very disappointed as I was looking for something safer. The Opana er was $64 with my insurance, so it was a double whammy. No relief and a slap in the purse to someone who is currently on half pay :0(

1. Another option?
    2. Maybe my particular body can't metabolize it? I've never had a prob with opiates before but there is a first for everything.
    3. You know the allergy medicine Zyrtec (SP?)? Well, everyone I know, this allergy medicine makes them sleep like babies- me, it keeps me awake the entire night, eyes wide open. Maybe I have a weird reaction to some stuff.

Constipation is a real deal while taking opiates and especially after surgery. My gold standard is milk of magnesium. Works like a charm! I don't like taking the Ex-Lax type stuff as it gives me awful cramps. Another thing to try is mineral oil (I think it's called). A totally clear oil and very old fashioned. Cheap too. There's also this other stuff, I can't remember what it's called, but it comes in like an old fashioned small glass bottle in several flavors, usually it's on the bottom shelf at the drug store. It's about $1.50 a bottle. Some people don't like the taste, but I think the cherry flavor is actually pretty good over ice. Like a super sour Jolly Rancher. When it comes to having a BM go for the old fashioned stuff- it works the best!
    3/11/13 successful ACDF
    7/13 inconclusive discogram
    Currently in PT for lumbar pain
  • At the 10 mg dose, you were on the lowest starting dose of Opana. Every patient, when switched over to a different- especially short acting to a long acting medication is given the lowest dose, first to see how the patient tolerates the new medication, secondly , when going from a short acting to a long acting medication, it is very common to need to wait and see how the medication works for at least a two week period, and if necessary, at least one dosage adjustment before saying that it doesn't work.
    Short acting medications release all of their medication at once, usually within an half hour to an hour after taking it- then the medication slowly decreases in the blood stream over the next 4-8 hours...most people, especially when they first start taking these short acting medications can feel the onset of the release of short acting meds and that is how they judge if it is working or not....with long acting medications, you don't feel the onset of the medication, instead they are made to release the medication over a 12 hour period in the case of Opana, so there is no feeling of onset/release of the medication and people assume that if they don't feel it kick in, then it is not working...
    Instead of just having you take more doses, he should have had you wait, for at least a week, then if you were not recieving adequate pain relief, slowly increased the dosage.
    4 days is not long enough to determine whether or not it would have offered you pain relief and the dose of 10 mg should not have left you with withdrawal symptoms.....Opana is far more potent than vicoden/norco, and therefore you should not have had withdrawal symptoms. Potency is why with long acting medications, the dosage can be lower, but the pain relief better.
    Pain free is not the goal of pain management , a reduction of 50% of pain should be the goal. Doctors are not going to keep a patient on short acting pain medication long term. If a patient needs pain medication longer than a short period of time, they are going to convert them to a long acting opiate, so it would be wise to talk to your doctor and discuss your options and then plan on giving each trial period of new medication at least a two week period, and one dosage adjustment before deciding it is not working........
    There is a link to treating chronic pain in my signature. It is worthwhile reading.
  • Thanks for all of the information in your post and in the link! I learned a lot of things I did not know. I am meeting with my doctor next week to discuss other options.
    3/11/13 successful ACDF
    7/13 inconclusive discogram
    Currently in PT for lumbar pain
  • I was on opana 5 mg. er and I believe that is the lowest of opana
  • I've been on the 20mg x2 each day and my pain level has been amazingly low. I did over do it on Sunday at work and I can feel that as soon as the medicine starts to wear off. Usually when I over do it, the second or third day afterwards is the worst. I went to bed last night and was feeling pretty stiff (but no pain per se), and about 4 am, I was hurting big time (meds had worn off). After taking my morning pill, I was right back to virtually no pain.

I am amazed at how well this drug is doing for my pain. I am still cautious though of side effects and long term use of it.
  • FLSharkvictimFFLSharkvictim Posts: 3
    edited 01/31/2014 - 7:07 AM
    I am very lucky b/c I have never had any type of side affects except I have a very short temper on them.. No bad dreams or no constipation. I have been taking Opana for around 6 months. Currently I am taking Opana 40mg ER 2 times a day and 10mg Opana IR Instant relief 4 times a day for break through pain...
    I have Spinal Stenosis of the spine and a herniated disc in the L4-L5S1.
    Hope this helps,

• It's been a while since I posted this string, but the Opana is still working great for me. I can still over do it and when that happens I pay for it. All the cold weather and snow has caused me more pain than usual, but I've come to expect that.

• is still working relatively well for you. I liked it when I was on it, it was second only to the fentanyl patches for me, as far as pain relief goes.....in fact, I am considering going back to it for the warmer weather months since I don't like the patches in the warmer weather months. I like to swim in the pool and be outside and fentanyl patches aren't the best option for those times.
    Hurry warmer weather!