Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Microdiscectomy

I am a 18 year old female 7 weeks post L5-S1 microdiscectomy. Before my surgery I had pain running down my left buttock, hip, and all the way down my leg into my foot. Immediately after surgery my leg pain was gone. A couple weeks ago I started having pain in my hip. Today I have started having a lot of pain in my back at the incision. Also I am having pain running down my left leg. I have started having pain on the right side of my buttocks which is new. When I went to my Dr. for my six weeks check up complaining of hip pain, he told me that I was doing too much in therapy. Now that I'm done with therapy and I'm having new problems, my fear of re-herniation seems more and more like reality. I just wanted to get some feedback from anybody who might have been through this.

• I had a microdiscectomy on June 21st. on my L4/L5. I had immediate relief of my left leg pain for about 3 days. It came back a little but I didn't worry since everyone told me that it takes a while for nerves to heal. About 2 weeks after surgery I rolled my ankle while walking. My leg was very sore for the next several weeks. I too was worried. My Dr put me on steroids for 6 days. Unfortunately it didn't help with the pain. When I went to my 5 week follow up appt I still had a lot of pain in my leg. I was sent for another MRI. I just found out today that my L4/L5has re-herniated. I am just sick about this. I have been off work for 6 weeks and am now facing another surgery. I am meeting with my Dr next Monday to sit down and discuss this. I just don't know what to do. I may have to go through this all over again and will be forced to be off work for at least another 4 or 5 weeks. The nurse at the office told me that yes, it can happen but in only about 5 percent of the cases. I can't believe that I am 1 of the 5 percent. I'm trying to be positive though and have faith that I can get through this second surgery and this time I will be 1 of the 95 percent success stories.
    Micro-D June 21,2013
    Micro-D August 30,2013
    L4-L5 Fusion October 1,2013
  • I hope you have a better outcome this time. I know it must be frustrating being this far along in the recovery and having to start again. I'm surprised that it only happens in 5 percent of patients. Almost everybody I have talked to has had to have the surgery again because of a re-herniation.