Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal cord stim problems

anbot30aanbot30 Posts: 1
edited 08/05/2013 - 6:11 PM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I just received the new spinal cord stimulator that is suppose to mri approved a few days ago.I was the first in the US to receive it, but have had nothing but miserable pain. I have had 7 prior lumbar surgeries, and even with those the pain was nothing like this. The doctor doesn't seem to care about my pain, and I don't know what to do now. I was told that this device would be exactly what I need because with all my problems( degenerative disc, multiple herniations etc.) after I woke up from surgery I had severe weakness in my right leg not able to stand without it buckling. the dr explained it was because of the numbing meds and it would go away in a few hours. well it didnt so I went to ER and was admitted for an mri, but at that time was told the device was "conditionally" approved for mri so theycouldn't do it. the did ct scan and said it was inflammation. 5 days later im still suffering with severe nerve pain. im looking for anyone that can relate or has any advice!!! I spoke with dr office today and they still seem to think it'll go away on it's own, but with my history im not so convinced.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • put back to the manufacturer, call them
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 08/23/2013 - 7:28 PM
    How was the unit implanted. Were leads placed inside the spinal canal.
    If they did laminectomys it takes a week to get over the pain.
    The doctors really under play the amount of pain in this surgery.
    I had four laminectomys and spent five days in bed. I could not move.
    What unit did you get. Make (edit to remove inappropriate language) sure your leads are MRI ok also
    If they heat up they can do some damage. Some older units were OK for brain MRIs
    but even they had to be done on certain MRIs only.

• I'm getting my perm. Stimulater placed on the 23 of august. My dr uses the st judes stimulater rechargeable. Getting a little nervous hearing all the problems people are having. On the other hand a couple friends have good words on it.
  • I get my trial installed this morning and I'm praying for the best. Will let you all know this afternoon. Boston Scientific latest and greatest Spectra.
  • yes please keep us posted....just had my trial with the St. Jude....it comes out today....had wonderful results...thank the good Lord.....I know the surgery for the implant will be hard I am just scared and praying that "This too shall Pass".
  • I really recommend every read Kathy's journal from last year. Invaluable tips and info. I just picked up my post op rx's and hope to be in surgery next week or the next. Ive been reading this site for a year since my trial. I was really scared of the surgery. Long story I was laid off,very depressed, had to have extensive dental work in May till just now....so Im ready! I highly recommend making the rolled pillows for each side of spine as Kathy did. I just finished and can see how it will help. Im cervical, Medtronic non floating leads not paddles. Battery goes in at bra line? Good luck! Keep us posted and really arrow way back and read!
  • From the programming on the table to this very minute I knew this IS my answer. This has been such a relief I was overcome with tears as we walked (and my wife pointed out, WALKED, not limped to the car). I can't wait for the permanent! A little pain in my upper back but presumed to be the lead/surgical type pain, but I have my legs back!!
  • 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 09/04/2013 - 12:08 AM
    Well, my trial aborted after 24 hours due to a pulled lead and blood, but it was a raging success!
    I'm getting my MRI tomorrow and hopefully my perm paddles and Boston Spectra on the 26/27th.
    I can't wait. My body knows what's happening and has a rage on right now.

Did anybody else have intense acute pain between the trial and the perm? I'm wondering if it was aggravated and if so, will this also mean that it will be worse when the stim is off?
  • I'm sorry that the trial ended so quickly for you, and yes, I do believe that there have been others who had an increase in pain once the temporary unit was gone. I'm sure that others will come in and chime in with their experiences..
    Good luck and hopefully, they will get your permanent unit soon.