Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks down. 6 weeks to go with collar

Wonder if I will forget how to drive. Also wonder how neck will feel once brace comes off. Hopefully I'm fusing. Anyone else have to wear Aspen vista collar. Shower,sleep eat etc. plus bone stimulator. When I seen the hardware could not believe all that in my neck. Sorry to say still haven't kicked the smoke habit. Still trying. Pain still there but not as bad. Each day have ups and downs. Thank God for medication.

• I am a nanny of 2! :-)

I had an ACDF but didn't have to wear a collar at all.
    I think I was probably in the minority and many people on here do have to wear a collar.
    We have to follow our surgeon's instructions as they know what they found inside and how they treated it.

Will you have physiotherapy after your collar is removed?
    I have read of some people who have found their neck muscles are weak once the brace comes off and so have physio.

How are you finding the collar in hot weather? That is often something that people complain of. At least you are half way through your time wearing it now. The end is in sight!

I do know that many people find it very hard to give up smoking. Good luck with that, it will certainly help you to fuse if you are not smoking.

Wishing you a continued smooth recovery. :-)
  • Hot weather not much bother. Have only been out 3 times. How many levels did you have done? We really haven't talked much about what happens then. I will defiantly ask at next appt. which is 28th of August . Thanks for the wishes on recovery. I've been up for 5 hrs and haven't needed any Norco or muscle. Usually happens around nap time about 2:00.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 08/07/2013 - 7:42 AM

I had C3/4 and C4/5 fused.
    My surgeon was very minimilistic.
    I had two titanium cages. No graft. No plate. No screws. No collar.
    He did assure me that he does it this way and does get successful fusion!

That was 9 months ago and I seem to be ok. I do still have symptoms but I think that could be due to cord damage because of waiting for so long. Once I got another opinion that surgeron said we should get on and do it because I had a lot of compression on my cord. At least it shouldn't get worse now.

Take care :-)

• grammaof9ggrammaof9 Posts: 263
    edited 08/07/2013 - 7:21 PM
    The bruised cord for me will not get any better in my weakness on right and handwriting but the 2 spots that had flattening should get better since pressure is off. I hope he is right. Still taking at least 4 to 6 norco a day plus flexeril or Valium but the head and shoulder pain gets way worse by end of day and I seriously don't do anything much. Use tens unit but only gives some relief while. Need to get back to work soon - our own business but not up to it yet . Sure hope I'm way better by my appt. Aug 28th. Right around the 8 to 9 week period give a couple of days or so. Not sure why some where soft collar and some where hard. I have hard and my chin and neck are pretty sensitive.