Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Superficial siderosis

My husband was diagnosed with a very rare condition called Superficial Siderosis. From 1908 till 2006 there were only 270 cases reported worldwide and still aren't many more. Only one Dr. in the world is doing a clinical trail with a medication, that trail is in phase two and will not be over until 2014. It is a progressive degenerative condition, which was caused from a fall 20 years ago. We just found out this year he has a tear in his dura which has been slowly leaking for the past 20 years and is now causing some major health problems. We are fortunate that they were able to locate the bleed thru a Dynamic CT Myelogram as it was a 1 in 4 chance. The fluid collection which is in the front of the T10 would need to be permanently closed with stitches and water tight to stop the progression of this condition. It would not reverse his current symptoms (80 percent hearing loss in each ear, balance and bowel issues) from getting any worse along with other terrible symptoms if it continues to bleed. We need to find a really good thoracic surgeon. We have meet with one surgeon and he has done very few thoracic surgeries, so I would like to get a second opinion. He also mentioned my husbands tear is in the front and in a difficult place and would have to remove some of his rib. I have been researching but could use any input. Thank You in advance.

• I would be checking at the nearest big hospitals in the largest cities surrounding your area for a cardio- thoracic spine surgeon who has done many, many of these type of surgeries. They are a small speciality group but it would be wise and prudent to find the top doctor in that type of spine surgery before proceeding with this. You both want the best outcome that you can get, and the risks are great under the best of circumstances, so the more experience the surgeon has, the better the outcome.