Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where to go to get help for SI pain.

mergiemmergie Posts: 3
edited 08/09/2013 - 5:58 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I know it seems silly, but I don't know what kind of doctor to go to for my SI pain. I read an article here that says a physiatrist is best. Is that were most people go?
I had a bad fall off of a horse last year, landed incredibly hard on my butt and fractured L1. What was never taken into consideration was the trauma done to the rest of my spine and butt. I did physical therapy and have the SI belt. I am no better. I wake up in extreme pain in SI area. I am taking Ultram for back and SI pain but am pretty miserable. My thoracic vertabrae also has a problem - numbness wrapping around under ribs and painful area on spine. I would like that adressed. I did have x-rays done at the time of the injury and they showed nothing going on aside from the L1 fracture.
What specialty doctor do you see for your SI pain? Has anyone tried PRP injections?
Thanks for any help.


  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

    - Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

    - The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

    - Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

    - As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

    - It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

    - As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

    Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

    All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

    If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:






    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you for the info. I am sorry if I shouldn't have posted my question. I don't know how to delete it.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 08/09/2013 - 6:05 AM
    Your question doesn't need deleting mergie, I hope members can give you support that will help you decide what to do next

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery

  • I am sorry to hear that you had a fall off a horse last year and that you fractured your L1 vertebra.

    I am in the UK so not really familiar with the system in the USA. (If that is where you are)

    When did you last see your physiotherapist? Here in the UK we generally have to see our GP for a referral to a specialist.
    Have you had an MRI scan done of your thoracic and lumbar spine?
    X-rays tend to show what is going on with the bones where as MRI scans show the soft tissue well so they are useful for diagnosing nerve compression.

    I get a tightening spam and pain that wraps around my abdomen at the lower rib level. I have been told that is is almost certainly being caused by some herniated discs that I have which are slightly compressing on my cord.

    I don't have SI pain, but I would imagine that a spinal specialist would be able to give you a diagnosis.
    What are PRP injections?

    I hope that you will get some members who do have experience of SI joint problems who will come and share their experiences.

  • mergiemmergie Posts: 3
    edited 08/09/2013 - 1:52 PM
    Thank you for answering jellyhall. Yes, I am in the States. PRP is Platelet Rich Plasma. I had a CT and MRI of my lumbar only. It did show issues with the first and last discs in that area. And the radiologist recommended an MRI of my thoracic - what he saw of it had spinal cord bruising. I saw my GP for the first time in 7 months last week. He referred my to three other orthopedic doctors for other injuries...I'm a mess and have a lot of issues. And also for massage therapy for my thoracic area and neck. He is great and spent a lot of time with me, but we both ran out of steam and time. And I didn't get to explain to him the SI pain.
    If I can find the right doctor to go to myself, I don't need a referral. Anyone in FL?
Sign In or Register to comment.