Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back on again with questions

I'm back again with problems with my permenant stimulator. I've had it in for just over four months now and every thing that can go wrong is going wrong! I've had it programmed multiple times and each time they get it right but, then it slowly goes south. I'm getting very bad headaches and its not relieving my nerve pain in my back at all. My nurse pt said she thinks that it might be leaking but, I have to wait on wonderful wc to approve my cat scan so until then ill just have to wait! It also seems to sort of still zaps a little when it's off. I just don't think this was right for me. I don't want to scare anyone off from getting one because if I had it to do over I would because if you don't try then you won't know so please don't take my experience the wrong way. If anybody has bad nerve issues then use your judgment. Ok I think I'm done just going on but, mine is causing me grief with chest pain, back pain, groin pain, ect... I just don't know what to do.

• My words of advice would be this is not something to play around with. Sounds as If this is Workmen's Comp.? I don't know the laws where you live but after you've been on Workmen's Comp. for so long you should be able to go get your own doctors. You don't have time to wait around for Workmen's Comp Doctors as they don't care about you nor does your employer even though you think they may. I would advise you to get an attorney and get advisement ASAP. Trust me you will pay for your back issues for the rest of your life.. Good luck
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/10/2013 - 6:46 PM
    Where is the sc implanted? Cervical or lumbar? If it is lumbar, it should not be causing the headaches. I'm sorry that it is still not working properly, and the programming changes aren't helping to resolve the problem. It is reasons like this that made me decide not to even go through with the trial.
    I know that some get great relief from scs and others have great difficulty. Did you get the required 50% pain relief or better during the trial?
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 08/10/2013 - 7:27 PM
    Hi Backpainsucks
    Again I have to say so many people are getting SCSs implanted today the company's are hiring new people so fast they are not getting the training and experience they need to be doing this. Call the scs company and say you need the areas senior programming member to work on this right now and if it's leaking it's a emergency and needs to be taken care of today not tomorrow or later. If it starts to burn see a ER it needs removed and quick. I doubt this is the case.
    Start with the company and push until it's done. I can have a reprogramming done with has little has one days notice. I don't know what brand you have but it doesn't matter. There is not a book on settings for these it's all trial and error for what helps you. Everybody is different, each implant is different and then the skill of the doctor and the programming come into effect. To give you one example my unit has approx 44 millon settings they can set up using a sixteen lead paddle. It's massive and a person needs experience,e to know what they are doing. If I had a programming unit I could not do it we need there experience.
    Good luckluck
    Keep pushing and calling supervisors.above who ever is taking care of you. If you can't get numbers call the customer service number with your unit and say your done getting screwed over fix it or remove it. You will not need to be nasty just get your point across.
    If it's medtronics PM. me and I will get the number for you. They will work with you.
    Your book should have support numbers in it. Ask for another programmer to try before you give up.
    These are a tool for pain not a fix for pain
    BUT they sure can help when done right.
  • Went and got a cat scan done and my pm dr said that he couldn't find no leak! So now he is sending me to a neuro for more testing to see what is going on with my back and head. He said he does not know why my heart would be hurting because of my back so I gotta go back to my pcp for that I guess! I know I didn't ask any questions rather I vented but I couldn't help it. I have my stimulator in my lower lumbar. My dr did say that the Lumbar area could also cause headaches to. I have a Medtronics unit in my lower lumbar area and the guy who programs my stimulator has programmed it for me four different times he does a good job and He gets it right But, Every time it seems to go downhill and it doesn't seem to work right it just doesn't help my nerve! It always lasts for about a week to two weeks and then it starts to go downhill and not work as much it doesn't help the nerve like it should at all my nerve tends to go back to right where it was. My trial was awesome it helped me stand up straight for the first time in 2 1/2 years but the Permanent is nothing like the trial it doesn't feel the same. I don't care how much I set my program I just can't get it right. And now on top of all of this I'm having issues with my headaches and my heart problems is just too much for me to handle! I know I have to hang in there and I Am it's just taken it's toll.
  • Backpainsucks
    If your trial went well the implant should be better.
    I wonder if your leads migrated (moved) a 1/4 inch can make a difference.
    This could cause issues. Your unit is in the lumbar area but where did the ends of your leads end up at. Have these been xrayed. What type of leads were used, perc leads that can move with just a twist of your body or were paddles placed and attached so the could not move.
    During my cervical trial on the last day I wanted to really test the unit and did yard work.
    Got hot and sweat released the tape holding the trial unit to my back. My test leads came .about four or more inches down. The sensations from my neck were now in my chest.
    This was extremely painful I could only guess it was like having a heart attack.
    What happens if you turn the unit off for a day does it make any difference.
    I hope they find out what's going on for you soon. Stimulation to the chest area can not be good for you. Keep in mind when your doing something fairly new to you some one that appears to be really good at what they do may not be that good. I have found it's always better to have a second set of eyes look at your programming and check out to see if the unit is working right. It can't hurt. I have the same unit you do and I have had five really good programmers work on me over three years. All were very good but two have been much better and done more for me then the others.

Stay on them. Hope you find out something soon
  • Could it not be holding a charge? If the leads moved it wouldnt hold then go south. Something is losing power. (maybe)