Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fragment Missed During Microdiscectomy...Continued Leg Pain

Hi. I had surgery (micro discectomy) for a lateral disk herniation at L3/4 in mid February. An MRI in mid May showed that my doc had missed a fragment of my disk and it identified a small foraminal disk protrusion hitting my nerve root causing pain in my leg.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this occur? Is there anything that can be done? I am going to PT and it is helping with other issues but not so much with my leg pain. It is not always terribly painful, but I can get sharp shooting pain at times. Morning is the worst. Sitting for a long time irritates it and walking is best. All in all, I often say that my leg feels funky and there is always some discomfort and I can feel when I overdo it.

I am wondering if it will just go away or, if there is something (even surgically) that can be done? I had to have surgery because prior, I had so much pain I could not live. I hurt myself on the job, so my insurance is worker's comp. I am seeking a second opinion, but it has been difficult because of my insurance. Many docs won't take it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

• Hi!
    I too had a microdiscectomy at L4/5 on June 21st. I was experiencing both backache and butt/leg pain. I could hardly stand up and walk the day I went into the hospital. After the surgery I had immediate relief with the leg pain and even though this type of surgery a lot of times doesn't help with back pain I had immediate relief with that also. That was short lived though and the leg pain returned several days later. At the time I was told by the Dr and nurse that it was common for residual pain and normally is just the nerves healing. Unfortunately the weeks went by and it got progressively worse. At my 5 week post op appt my Dr ordered another MRI which showed I had re-herniated the same disc. I have no idea why this happened as I did nothing but lay and try to walk a few times a day. The nurse told me it could have happened the first time I got out of bed in the hospital to use the restroom. I pray if I decide to have the second one I have better luck.
    I am sick about it and am seeing the Dr to sit down and discuss on Monday. I haven't spoken to him yet but the nurse told me I could try PT, Chiro or injections but that would really just bandaid the problem. I will probably have to have another micro on that disc where she said he would go in and completely clean out the fragments on the inside of the disc.
    I will find out more information and have lots of questions I need answered when I meet with him on Monday but I pray if I decide to have the second surgery it is a success this time. I just know I can't continue the way I am now.
    Micro-D June 21,2013
    Micro-D August 30,2013
    L4-L5 Fusion October 1,2013
  • Well, I have scheduled my 2nd microdiscectomy for Friday, August 30th.
    I saw my MRI today and the same disc has re-herniated through the existing hole in the disc. I pray this 2nd surgery is a success. I was given a brace this time that I will wear after surgery. I wish I would have been given this the last time. It will certainly keep my back more stable and help me remember not to twist or bend. It's amazing how any tiny movement can cause a re-herniation. I told the Dr this time I 'm going to be paranoid and may not move for 4 weeks. Ha!!
    Micro-D June 21,2013
    Micro-D August 30,2013
    L4-L5 Fusion October 1,2013