Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is PT absolutely necessary? It's causing so much pain

Hi all! Grateful for this forum. I had a laminoplasty c4-7 on May 15th and so far 3 different therapists have put me in a great deal of pain and stiffness/spasm that gets so bad I feel like my trachea is being cut off for air supply. I do so much better just walking a lot. I recently read another hospital's procedures for post-op laminoplasty and they won't event start PT with patients for 3-6 months. Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you! Amy

• Hi Amy! Not everyone does well with PT and everyone's issues are very different. Have you talked to your surgeon about this stiffness/spasm? What are your current symptoms if you just walk? You have to listen to what works for your body. I find that physical therapists just give you the "cookie cutter" exercises based on your surgery. They do not fully assess your current condition thoroughly. Even if walking has been the best exercise for you, you will eventually need to incorporate exercises to help with keeping your neck and back strong. Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    besides helping you navigate our forums, it contains links to many forum threads and medical articles.

For PT start by looking at a patients view All about Physical Therapy

Now for the 'formal' medical articles: Physical Therapy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Lili thank you! Today I saw my surgeon and the in-hospital PT he works with and they both had me stop doing ROM until I'm out of pain. I will also see rehab about the meds situation and to see if there are other ideas and possibilities like trigger shots. Clearly we all recover at our own pace, and the 20 rep, 3 times a day ROM neck exercises I was doing was causing SO much pain as you called it quite rightly "cookie cutter". I feel greatly relieved to be able to listen to my own body and I'm going to up the walking as much as I can. A great tip the PT gave me was to get "blind spot" mirrors that you attach to your car's existing side-view mirrors to minimize neck rotation.
  • Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 08/13/2013 - 10:56 AM
    20 reps, 3 times a day is a lot! I started with 10 reps every other day. Glad to hear that you spoke with your surgeon and will give the PT exercises a break for now. Take it day by day and things will get better!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches