Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

August 5th Surgery

Had a laminectomy and cyst removal last Monday, and i was really a wimp about the pain-which has settled in my left hip. I don't know what else he did, and i requested a report, which I have not yet received.

To my disappointment, the surgeon said he would probably have to do a fusion, when the offending disc slips. He didn't remove it like I thought he was going to, because he said it didn't look all that bad. Well,lets hope that disc doesn't slip, because I am still refusing fusion.

When I mentioned running again, I also received a frown. I was told to stay out of work for one month, but I went back today, and was very careful not to bend, stoop or twist. I have a desk job, but I did get up every fifteen minutes and walk. In fact, I walked a mile and a half twice in one day with no problems. My pain is worst in the morning, when I get out of bed, so I am still taking Tylenol 3.

Will this pain subside or am I going to regret ever having this surgery?

• I guess I failed to get in the chatroom for the August surgeries. I'm just now getting off work, so maybe I can chat from home.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 08/14/2013 - 3:56 AM
    You are still very early out in your recovery from quite an invasive spinal surgery.
    I had a laminectomy with fusion of L4/5 done over 3 years ago. I had 5 months off work but I am in the UK and had been at my work for over 10 years so was entitled to 6 months on full pay and a further 6 months on half pay. I was a teaching assistant so my job involved lots of bending and stooping. I couldn't have gone back earlier to that job.

Your pain should subside although it will probably take longer as you have gone back to work very early after a laminectomy. Please be careful. There are many members on here who have overdone it in the early stages of recovery and have lived to regret it. Some of them have needed another surgery because of it. Hopefully you will be ok, but please do listen to your body and ease back if it tells you you are doing too much.

Can I suggest that you joine the August Surgery Buddies thread where you can chat with others who have either just had or are about to have spinal surgery.

If you click on this link, it will take you to the thread:

• Roxanne JordanRRoxanne Jordan Posts: 17
    edited 08/14/2013 - 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the input. I am very careful about bending, twisting, and all of the other things that I am not supposed to do. I can do more here at home that is harmful than I can at work, where I try not to sit more than 20 minutes at a time.

I just joined the other website.