Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8mths post op still in paindisectomy, laminectomy s1-l5 fused with metal and screws pins

I was on 12mg hydromorphone contin 4x per day with 2mg hydromorphone x 12 per day. As well as ocassional use of tramacet. I had surgery DEC 14/13. Discectomy & laminectomy. S1-l5 Were my issues. Fused L234, I'm pretty sure those were the numbers. Anyways, I followed all my physio and exercises at home . I've been able to reduce my meds down to 9mg hydromorphone contain x 3 day, still on the 2mg for break thru up to 14 per day. I seen my surgeon last week and he seems to think i am low as I will get as far as getting off the meds. I'm trying but just can't stand the pain. I dunno what to do. He seems to think there may be more compression he missed. My right side is now hurting almost as much as my left. My left foot is always numb tingly burning in pain. I sleep 3 hours a night taking 2 zopliclone. I'm sick and tired of being in pain. I've never been to a pak. Management clinic but am asking my Dr to send me to one. My Dr called one in the city and they're the ones who started the hydromorphone long and short acting last October. I'm only 37 and have been nearly 3 years fighting this battle. I was two years waiting for surgery. My question is what will a pain management clinic do for me at this point? I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia, and cartoidynia. I just can't stand the constant nerve pain numbness and pain from my butt cheeks to my left foot. The numbness had only gone away for 3months after surgery and came back worse then ever. I had prepared for a long healing. But had exoexcted to be off my long acting narcs by now with hopefully just using percs or tramacet for daily needs. I feel like such a failure as a mom and wife. I have three kids 9,12,&15 who need their momma pain free. Its been hard on them cause I can't do half of what I used to. Hubby works, comes home to cook supper and does most of the household cleaning because I can't leave my bed more then a few hours a day. I really am beginning to wish I'd never gotten surgery at least the pain was bearable with the meds im on now. After surgery I'm getting may be a 30% reduction in pain. Now days my pain stays at 8, most of the week with a few days at 9. If I have a Dr apt to go to in the city for my daughter the 5hours each way makes the next 3-4 days a 10 on the pain scale. Sitting as a passenger is terrible for me . if I have a few hours out shopping with hubby I'm 2-3 days of 9 on the pain scale. Just regular grocery or cloth shopping. I have no endurance or stamina anymore. So frustrated and unsure where to go from here .if anyone has suggestions about pain clinics in alberta please let me know. I'm asking my family Dr Thursday where he can send me To. Anyone else have surgery that didn't go as planned and still need meds?

• vmh1205vvmh1205 Posts: 6
    edited 08/15/2013 - 6:35 PM
    Hello! I'm currently 15 months post op from a laminectomy and discectomy on my l4-l5. I'm still on medicine for pain, norco 5-325. The medicine doesn't help the pain anymore. I have sharp pain in my lower back again but now my hips and upper back. I'm going to see my pain management doctor monday to see if there might be other options.

• I am so sorry to hear how much pain you are still in and how much it is limiting your life as a wife and mother of three.

I am pleased to hear that you are going to go to a Pain Clinic.
    They will want to know all about all the meds that you are taking and those that you have tried.

Have you had an MRI scan done since your surgery?
    You say that your surgeon felt that you may still have some compression that he missed.
    An MRI scan should show this. Did he suggest having one?

Please don't give up hope that you will improve. It does sound like you may need some more help from your doctors.
    This is a great place where you can talk to others, some of whom are still suffering since their surgery.
    We can sympathise with you and I really hope that you will find out why you are still in pain and that the doctors will have a plan to help you.

• I have answered your other post.
    Good luck at the Pain Management doctor on Monday.
  • Hi yeah I have an MRI for sept 18/13 which is also of my brain to see if they can find out why my blood pressure won't stay stable. It was 250/155 the other night in the clinic. On 3 bp meds a day. Shouldn't be that high. My cartoidynia has just started flaring up as well so I think or am hoping the MRI will show the cartoidynia and give us a way to manage this too. Pain is ruining my life 100%. I just wanna be pain free at a 7/10 everyday. I can handle and work with that. 20/10 everyday is debilitating and unreasonable to deal with. I ended up going back to my last dose of meds where I decreased. I had to go back to 12,9,12 mg throughout the day and the breakthrough as needed. I did 9,9,12 for nearly two weeks and was ins constant pain. Still waiting from a pain clinic to hear. I think they might be waiting till I get my MRI so they have all the puzzles to the pictures. I dunno I think the surgery failed. They just don't wanna agree on that. Hoping there will be other meetings with all my drs and just agree on a treatment. I'm tired and hurting. And only 37, but feel 99 most days.
  • What I am going to say may not make you very happy, but I am saying it because I think that you know deep in your heart that what I am saying is true.
    It is possible that the surgery failed, and it is also possible that you may need medications at some dosage for the rest of your life, but I do want to tell you a couple of things. The first one is that you must get up out of that bed, and walk, a few steps if that is all you can manage each time, but you need to get up, get dressed and move around. No matter how much it hurts now, all you are doing by laying in bed or sitting around, it making the entire situation worse. Not being active, will worsen the pain and the stiffness and the weight gain, and the percieved pain levels will rise the more you continue to give in to the pain you are perceiving. You need to walk, even if it is just a few steps, many, many times per day, will add up and increase both your endurance, and tolerance to the pain levels. The physical activity will also help to bring down your blood pressure as well. You can cook meals by sitting down on a stool or a chair between steps of making the meal, you can peel potatoes or mix a salad by sitting down in a chair if you feel you must. You can fold laundry by putting the basket on the couch next to you......there are things that all of us, no matter how bad our pain levels are can do to contribute to our households.
    The other problem with laying in bed ,is that the person tends to isolate, which only feeds into the depression and the lack of motivation to function. If you need help with the depression as many of us have, after having major surgery, then get it.
    Your husband and your kids deserve a mom and wife who is showing them that no matter what life throws at her, she gets back up and does what needs to be done to get it taken care of.
    There is no such animal as pain free once you have had surgery or an injury to an area of your body. The area of the body is changed, and therefore, there is no such possibility of getting back to how it was previously. A person can not live at a constant pain level of 9, you would be in the hospital, so being a bit more realistic about what your actual pain levels are will help the doctors come up with a good treatment plan. Modify the way you are doing things to make it easier for you, and rest when you must but do not remain laying in bed, the majority of your time. That is only hurting you and your family.
    Pain medications are only ONE tool in learning to cope with ongoing chronic pain, there are many others, and the more of them that you use on a regular basis, the better your pain is controlled, and the more involved in living your life you will become.
    Read the link at the bottom of my post ........there is lots of information regarding treating chronic pain .