Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

suboxone to control fibromyalgia pain

I became addicted to opoids/codiene tabs having been on them for so long. Dr. Given me suboxone to. Control pai. And detox me, suboxone way better in controlling pain, can you stay on it longterm?

• There is a huge difference between addiction and tolerance when it comes to the use of opiates (pain medications) in the treatment of chronic pain. Addiction is the misuse /abuse of prescribed medications, which includes but is not limited to, taking more than prescribed, altering the method of delivery ( snorting, crushing, injecting, or otherwise misusing the medications), getting prescriptions from multiple doctors, self medicating, doctor shopping, and more, despite negative consequences of continuing this behavior.
    Tolerance on the otherhand is something that will occur in patients who are taking certain types of medications over an extended period of time- this includes opiates, and will require adjustments in their dosage over some time frame.
    Both 'conditions' will cause withdrawal in someone, but for very different reasons.
    If you were not abusing the medications or misusing them, then you could have been very safely tapered off the medications over some days or weeks, depending on the amount of medications that you were on.
    Suboxone is used primarily to treat addiction, and is meant to be continued to treat /avoid relapse, however, there is a trend amongst pain management doctors recently to use suboxone to get someone in chronic pain off opiates. The big problem with this is that if the suboxone is used to get someone through the withdrawal period, it should be used at the lowest possible dose to manage the withdrawal symptoms for the shortest time frame necessary. Usually less than 2 mg for no more than a week or two, after which the patient also needs to be tapered off the suboxone.
    Some PM doctors are using it to treat chronic pain in patients who have histories of addiction, and for the treatment of chronic pain , the lowest possible dose to manage the pain is ideal. Unfortunately, I've seen patients given doses of 24 mg per day, which is far too much suboxone to be given to treat pain........those doses should be no more than about 4 mg per day and that is high when it comes to using it to treat chronic pain .
    Yes, it can be used to treat pain long term, but just like opiates used to treat pain, when you are ready to stop taking it, you will need to be tapered slowly off it. It is also a narcotic, just as codeine, oxycodone and others in the pain medication class are.
  • I have Guillain barre' syndrom and had a successfull back surgury, but the desease left my leg's in pain 24/7 from the scarred neves. I have been on every opioid made and found my self simply addicted to them with out much relief. My doctor started me on Suboxone about two year's ago, and I have to say to the medical world that it is a wonder drug! Revolutionary even. I experience hardly any pain now and do not get (high) as it were at all from it.I think straight, and can get on with life. Not to mention I would get no sleep for a week at a time from the pain, causing my body to finaly shut down after 4 or 5 day's of no sleep, my feet would thump like a bass drum and radiate up my leg's.
    So any one having any (high) side effect's then that drug just is not for you. I am even going to go back into business now that my whole day and night is not spent with all the pain. Plus lyrica help's too.I started that a year or so ago. In conclusion, any one who say's that suboxone is only a detox drug is absolutly WRONG!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/18/2013 - 1:10 PM
    it is only used for detox. I said that it was used to treat addiction, and that some doctors are using it at too high a dose when it is being used to manage chronic pain.
    It was and is still being touted as an alternative to treating addiction , but when it is being used by pain management doctors to get a patient off opiates, there are many doctors who are using it at too high of a dose, ( same as used for treating addiction) and keeping patients on the medication for far too long.
    When it is used to take someone off opiates for pain, then the lowest possible dose should be used for the shortest time frame- a week or less in most cases and at most, two weeks...
    When treating addiction it is dosed at much higher doses for weeks, months and years, so they are two different problems, for two very different conditions.
  • SwaggySSwaggy Queensland, AustraliaPosts: 1
    I find that suboxone is totally awesome for fibromyalgia.  I have been taking a very low dose of 1-2mg twice a day for four months and have NO fibro symptoms.  The results were pretty much instant.  I have my life back after 10 years of hell for me and my family. I started on 4mg but found that I didn't need that much.  Initial side effects of constipation and urinary retention passed(!).  I also don't drink alcohol or caffeine and do a lot of mindful breathing and "love" meditation. 

Before suboxone, I couldn't even breathe without terrible pain - a sneeze would cause me to cry out in agony. Rapid onset fatigue would smash me to the ground sometimes as I couldn't make the nearest couch or bed. Fog stopped me from driving and being able to answer simply questions like "How are you?" I couldn't pick-up my kids or play with them. Of course I was pretty grumpy...Now I can work full time and have become the best dad in the world!

The problem is that I have to buy it from heroin addicts here in Australia as it's not prescribed for fibro.  Pretty messed up!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hello Swaggy

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    I suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.