Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Break out pain meds?

I would like your opinion on meds for helping low back pain especially in the morning,I take Oxy and morphine with not much luck they work bt I'm useless for a few hrs but I'm useless first thing in the AM anyway due tue pain
Can anyone suggest anything that I can take to my Dr.?
Thanks Pat

• terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 08/18/2013 - 1:02 PM
    those meds are basically; the strongest ones that you can get

Post edited by Spine Health Moderation Team
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Is the Morphine you are taking a Long Acting med like Ms Contin? If not, maybe a long acting med would be a good thing to try. If you have been on the Oxy for a good period of time, you may do better changing to a different one. After about two years or so, I have to go on different meds for about six months just to address my tolerance issues.

You could also try the Fentanyl Patch if you haven't done that yet.

Talk to your Doctor because there are lots of different meds to try. Usually a Long acting med with a Short acting med for Break thru pain works the best. Don't give up, keep trying and you will find something that works for you.

Take care.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 08/16/2013 - 12:27 PM
    Strong pain medications did not work for me until they were combined with a muscle relaxant. It took them 6 years to work this out. I take Rivotril (maybe called something else over there, you can look it up on Wiki to find the different names used in different countries) now, although valium probably works better but they don't like giving it out. My muscles were spasming so much and were pulling my spine and shoulder back into an incorrect position, the pain was incredible. I had a trauma accident where everything healed in the wrong place, it is thoracic damage and at the time they didn't brace thoracic injuries. I also sleep with a pillow between my knees as it is supposed to take the pressure off your spine. I feel it in the morning if I forget. I use heat packs as they calm down the muscle spasms. I supplement with magnesium and a multivite. The magnesium seems to help as well.