Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey everyone! I joined a couple months ago and never really introduced myself on here. I decided to come back to maybe get some support from people who actually can understand what I am facing with back pain and surgery. I feel as though I'm going down the same path I was in before surgery.

A little background. I'm currently 28 years old and in June 2012 I underwent a laminectomy and discectomy on my l4-l5. According to the surgeon it was a massive herniated disc. In June 2011 I managed to throw my back out by just bending over to pick up something. I have already been diagnosed with scoliosis. So when this happened I figured I really messed up my back big time. I never had back problems beforehand, pain wise. My back was hurting for a week, and went away. 2 weeks later I started to have mild pain going down one leg. The pain began to increase over time and would also "jump" to my other leg after a couple months. Months went by and the pain was getting worse. Almost a year later it came to the point where I could barely put weight on my one leg. To me not being able to walk. The pain was excruciating. I went to see a spinal surgeon who instantly said I needed surgery and without hesitation I agreed. A week later I was in the operating room.

The pain in my legs before surgery was gone. I have a new battle of pain that I'm facing. My work is demanding and I try to not do so much to not reinjury my back, but in doing so I still think something is wrong. The last time I saw the spinal surgeon he suggested a spinal fusion and everything I have read about that I was hesitating on and I still am. Every day I wake up in pain. I wake up in the middle of the night unable to roll over to my side. I get really sharp pain in my hips and sometimes I get that pain once again down my legs. I'm really not sure what else could be done to help relieve some of this pain.

My friends and family try to understand as much as they can but I just feel like no one has a true hold on what I'm going through with everything this past 2 years. I am thankful however that I how have a little more pain free life as before. I just wish this new "awaken" pain could be solved somehow.

I really can't wait to talk to people and try to gain some more information. Thanks!

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 08/16/2013 - 1:34 AM
    You have found a great place to come where you can talk to people who do understand what spinal pain feels like and how hard it can be to live with.

I am sorry that you are back in pain now after your laminectomy and discectomy of L4/5 in June 2012.
    You say that the last time that you saw your surgeon he suggested a fusion. Did he explain to you why he was suggesting that? Has your disc reherniated?
    Have you had an MRI scan done since your surgery?

You need to discuss what has happened and is causing your pain to have returned with your surgeon/doctor.
    I always suggest that people read the excellent articles on this site and write down questions as they think of them ready to ask their surgeon.

If there is a good reason for a fusion surgery, then it can be the way to improve the pain.
    I know that there are some not so good stories on this forum, but most of the successful patients are no longer posting here because they are back living their busy lives.

I had a fusion and laminectomy of L4/5 done over 3 years ago and it was very successful at dealing with the sciatica in both legs and the lower back pain that was limiting my life so much.
    You are much younger than me, and 28 is young to have a fusion but if it is needed then it can be very successful. Your age will be an advantage during the recovery.

Can you get another opinion to see what a different spinal surgeon would recommend?
    If they say the same thing, then you will feel more confident in going ahead with it.
    If not, then you might want a third opinion to see what they recommend.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do.
    Do ask any other questions that you have. We will be happy to share our experiences with you.

• Thank you so much!

I had an mri with contrast done a couple months after the surgery. My vertabrea are curving in word and due to the surgery I have little to no disc left. He ended up taking out a huge chunk of the disc because of how massive it was. He never fully explained to me why he was suggesting the fusion. He just acting as though it was my last option. I do want to get another opinion on my back because I feel like the 2 doctors I have aren't willing to help me anymore with my pain.

I'm going monday to see my pain mangement doctor and I'm going to tell her about this new pain. I'm beginning to get the pain in my legagain. I know healing takes time I just wish I could get answers and support from doctors instead of them brushing everything off.

• I have read of quite a few on here who have had a disectomy and then needed to go on and have a fusion.
    For many of them that does seem to help to get rid of the pain.
    I hope that you will get a chance to talk to a spine surgeon about this and why you would need a fusion now and what they would hope to achieve from a fusion surgery. Unless you prefer not to know, I think it helps to understand what their aims are to have any spinal surgery.

Good luck :-)