Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lamina dura tear?

i had my huge lumbar surgeries on Tuesday ( 13 th)
And still stuck in hospital bed because of dura tear in covering of spinal chord.
Had csf leak
has anyone gone through this?
Whats the prognosis?

• Yes. They can use a blood patch to solve the problem if it is a hole. This is a common problem that happens when you get a myelogram.

The symptoms is it feels like a migraine from hades if you move in any position other than laying down flat.

If it's small the blood patch fixes it in minutes and takes hold. If not then they need to do surgery again to repair it.
  • I've had these twice, once they are fixed (mine were surgical fixes) then I had no more problems. I made the huge mistake though of last time this happened insisting that I just wanted to go home without the surgery to fix it (they usually will heal themselves) and ended up being rushed to the ER 3 weeks later in severe dehydration... now that was a nightmare.... but once they found/fixed the leak, I just had to recover from the incision. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I'm sure the hospital will want to ensure your better before you leave. There is a new regulation associated with Obamacare (aka Affordable Care Act) that says if you get re-admitted into the hospital for something you were being previously treated for (within a specified time frame) then the hospital will not get paid for it. This is provided you live in the US.

Healthcare has a new conundrum on their hands; discharge as quickly as possible to keep costs lower, or keep the patient there longer to ensure thy are getting better. My bet is that the doctor will keep you in long enough to know the patch is working.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • inchwormiinchworm Posts: 719
    edited 08/21/2013 - 8:12 AM
    Rose - I also had a CSF leak as a complication of a big surgery to correct scoliosis, among other things, on July 17. I'd had a previous lumbar fusion (L4-S1) 3 years ago and adhesions had caused the dura to stick tightly to the bone--the tear was caused in attempting to free the naturally paper-thin dura from the bone. A surgical patch was done which did not work and a few days later I had a blood patch done--that one worked. It meant spending an extra week or so in hospital but it was worth it and I agree with EMS Guy that I highly doubt either my surgeon or the hospital would have allowed me to leave until it was successfully repaired. I hope your tear is resolved soon so you can get on with your recovery.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled