Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hair color

Okay this is for the ladies who had to wear collar for 3months and have an event Sept. 1si. Have not had hair color grey roots since June 21st before surgery. I probably will have about 1-1/2 inch out growth. Well now what can't put head backwards or forwards. Any suggestions. Even if someone colored my hair hear and showered the dye would get all over the collar.
Just wondering if anyone experienced this situation and with all my neck hardware will I ever be able to put head back in the hair tub.

• If someone has some input for us posterior ladies
    it would b appreciated. I'm in a soft collar and I can
    move forward, but backward is another story. I see my
    Surgeon on Wednesday the 21st so grammaof09 I will
    ask his opinion, even with your issued with rigid collar.

One of my friends lost all her hair do to a thyroid issue and
    she bought wigs & they look Great, but she says gives her
    headaches also. It's just a thought for a special event.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.

• I was lucky not to have to wear a collar at all. I didn't have to wear a brace after my lumbar fusion either.

I was just wondering if you could put your collar in a plastic bag (perhaps a bin liner) and then put it on.
    Then you could allow the water to just run over your collar and head.
    I used to wash my hair while in the shower and let the water run over my face and shut my eyes.

Just a thought that I hope would work. :-)
  • Thanks jellyhall I will have to think on that a little. So collar is covered and you let dye run off I'm wondering if anything gets stained. I shall check into that idea.
    Thanks again.
  • Hi

Not sure if you could go to a salon for help in the meantime. I was able to kneel on the chair and put my head into the bowl. They also had a special plastic brace to put over the normal neck of the bowl so I was able to lay back in the bowl now that I'm feeling better. Ladies ask your salon for a special plastic brace to put over the indentation of the bowl. It really softens the pressure on your neck to make it tolerable.

Good luck, I know it helps to continue to color your hair and wear makeup. It makes you feel human again!
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 09/02/2013 - 6:17 AM
    That is a great Idea about kneeling on the chair, and doing it that way. My hair dresser offered to come to my home, because she lives near by and then I would be able to rinse right in the shower, she would even stay to make sure I was safe and don't fall. I also believe it is important to do things that make us feel human again also. I am only 3 weeks and 4 days out from a PCF 3 level with rods and 8 screws, and my own bone used from the Back of my left. So I will wait a while to have my hair done, did it right before surgery so I have some time. I did make the choice to go up to my Sister's home near Eagle River WI my Surgeon Oked it He said it would be good for my Mind or Head. It was a 6 hour drive and we stopped every 2 hours to stretch. I slept a lot of the time we were driving. My point is it is good to do things that make us
    feel Normal.

I hope every one has a nice and safe Labor Day!!!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Well I was told no head back in bowl but leaning from waist I can put head forward. Finally getting color on Oct. 1 but won't be fully weaned of collar until Oct. 3rd but I will be getting it done in the 3 hours the collar is off so great news for me since my son is getting married Oct. 5th.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/11/2013 - 10:24 AM
    You must be so excited!
  • well i guess you can ask a friend to paint it,ask for one of those robes they have in the salon but before put some plastic on ur collar and then get a chair or stoll that you can wet and ask your friend to was it out i guess thats the best you can do
  • Today is only the 12th and at 59 you can probably imagine how much grays.