Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After Microdiscectomy

I had a microdiscectomy in May. The L5 and S1 nerves were being pressed against the spinal wall and the L5 disc they shaved all excess off.

I did nothing for the two months after surgery and while I did have phantom pains they went away for a good two weeks.

Two days ago the back pain and pain in the leg came back (although not nearly as bad). Is this normal? I am getting nervous that the surgery did not take. Should this pain have come back?

If it did not take, what will they do next? WIll they go back in?

ANy help would be appreciated.

L5 - S1 Microdiscectomy May 2013
Nerve damage and a disc herniation that was shaved down,

• DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
    edited 08/20/2013 - 4:04 PM
    It could be scar tissue causing the increase in pain or, if you have started to increase your activity, back off for a few days. Sometimes inflammation occurs as you increase activity. As for the surgery "taking" - they completed it so if you are having issues, call your surgeon. You may need PT. if the surgeon is worried that you re-herniated, they will request another MRI.

If that happened, they don't have to re-operate. Sometimes the piece is small and will dry up and shrink enough to not be worth a revision. In my case, I lost a huge piece so I had a revision MD and about 3-6 months post ops, saw improvement.

Good luck. Don't panic but do call your doctor.