Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My husband was diagnosed with discitis. He has been on vancomycin for 5 days. Upon arriving at the hospital, he was unable to walk without assistance and had to be taken in with a wheelchair. He was released to a rehab facility to help him regain use of his legs. Is anyone familiar with this condition and do you know what the likelihood of regaining full,use of his legs may be and if so, how long should it take?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am currently infection free from discitis and osteomyelitis. I have not felt so sick in my life as I did with the spine infection. I did 7 weeks iv antibiotics and almost a year of oral antibiotics. The pain from this condition is unbearable . Is he still testing positive for infection? What have the drs told you concerning walking again? He is still very early in the treatment for a spine infection.
  • Thanks for the comment, Susan. None of the tests show a positive for infection. Doctor says radiography shows infection. He has seen it too many too many times. The pain started 8 weeks ago. MRI report stated discitis could not be ruled out. First doctor ( who has performed 6 surgeries on his back) said he didn't think it was infection but rather another level above the last surgery breaking down. He referred him to an orthopedic surgeon because he felt ortho doc may be able to connect the hardware diff entry so that it would stop coming loose. It took another 3 weeks to get an appointment with ortho doctor. By this time he was barely able to walk. Hardtop use him in with a wheelchair. Doctor looked at MRI and CT scans and said it was infection. 8 days later, he was started on vancomycin, ciprofloxcin, and rifampin. After 11 days he was moved to rehab. After several days the strength in his legs seems to have worsened. Doctors are now ordering additional MRI to see what is going on. Did you lose strength/feeling in your legs?
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    But not to the point of where I could not walk. Have they done a biopsy to know what kind of infection they are treating. My Dr started me out on the Vancomycin and one other antibiotic but I cant remember what it was. Once the biopsy was back he changed all the antibiotics that were best for my type of infection. A lot of damage was done to my back because they felt surgery was too dangerous with the infection active. Once I was infection free enough, it never went away all the way they did surgery then the problems I was having went away
  • When we went back to the hospital and doctor,saw he was losing movement in legs and starting to lose control of bowels, they did an emergency surgery next morning. They cut a mass out of his back that was pressing on spinal cord. Said it was probably scar tissue mixed with inactive infection, but sent it off for biopsy. He is beginning to regain movement in legs and will start rehab this week hopefully in a few weeks he will be back up moving around.
  • I was diagnosed w discitis after 2 mos of excruciationg pain after my discectomy last Aug.12. I'm in intravenous vancomycin 2x a day for 19 days but I don't feel any improvement. The pain is worst fr lying down to sitting down then fr sitting down to standing up. When will the vancimycin take effect? When will the pain subside. I'm really desperate now coz even m taking opioid meds targin prescribed by my pain Dr the med is not working. I'm also taking cymbalta. And if I'm half asleep or sleeping I always feel a twick or a jerk all over my body and sometimes its at my lower back so the pain is too much. I don't know what's happening?
  • I had spondylodiscitis 7 years ago. It took them a long time before they found out. Nearly 9 months. Backpains and flu like feeling.. When i took AB i was better.. Never had any backissues before that.
    So after they found out.. 5 months injections antibiotics. Then later, 4 years trying to live with the damage that was irriversable. DDD. spasms, hamstring tear, 1.4 year ago fusion, now fbss and "screwed wrongly"
    Back then,.. loads of pain and sometimes fevers, but my legs where oké. Back pain always got better as soon as i started AB. They found bacteria in my blood, but that is 1 chance in a 1.000.000. Because discs and bone are porely bled.. Infection is mostly very local. It seems it is still hard to diagnose..

I hope they tackled the problem and you will recover from it..

• Thanks so much idleidee! I still have pain on my lower back until now and it's almost 5 months already since I'm taking antibiotic. I had vancomycin intravenous  Antibiotic for almost 8 wks and now I'm taking oral
This discussion has been closed.