Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

looking for advice

On July 1st I had from my t10 to s1 fused with multiple laminectomies and I am dealing with this injury from work and my workmens comp nurse case manager had called me an addict due to the amount of medication that the hospital had a prescribed to me. And I went to get my very first set of refills on all of the meds. Im on some strong meds but I have a family history of people abusing medication which any doctor I talk to I let them.know my fears about it happening to me. I worry about it so much that I will with my wife set a alarm schedule for each medication for when it is prescribed for me to take to go off so that way im not just going ok I hurt real bad I should take a pill. But when she said this to me its suck in my head that I may be addicted to the pills. I have been on workmens comp for 3 years now and from my injury I had to have from my c3-c6 fused and the this year like I said from t10-s1 fused with multiple laminectomy is and a bunch more done because I was born with scoliosis and I had two back surgeries when I was a kid. I was never on meds for the pain my whole life which I would be in from time to time but I just dealt with it. As a kid I had a very severe curvature and my lumbar region I believe at the beginning it was at a 80-85 degree curvature. To where it was. Surgery or be bent over in a wheelchair my whole life. I would like to know if there is anyone who has had a similar surgery as I and if so how long were you on your meds for. I mean I do physical therapy every day two to three times a day. Plus I have my family I try to help out.with as much as I can even though its very little. But I dont know the meds do scary me and all my doctors.know it but at the same time im being told if you cant control the pain then your body won't heal properly. I just don't know what to think because of what the nurse case manager had said. My wife and believe Im not because im so cautious and sometimes I wont even take the amount Im supposed to and just deal with how much pain im in. if anyone can give me advice or help out I would very much appreciate it thank you for taking the time to read this and maybe give me some help or guidance.

• I have similar issues. I know after my first surgery as a child that I was on pain medicine, but only for a very short time, don't remember that much about that part... I just remember once being in a lot of pain and telling my mom and she went to our medicine cabinet and gave me medicine from a prescription bottle... so maybe it was as needed basis.

I had to have a revision surgery summer 2012 where they revised everything from about T10 down. I had to have two surgeries for all the issues totaling about 20 hours in OR, 10 days ICU, 2 weeks hospital, 3 weeks in patient rehab (had some complications and had to relearn to walk). I took long acting meds for 12 weeks, short acting meds for about 16 weeks. I was back at work at 7 weeks.

My opinion and my opinion only would be that it is insane to think after this huge of a surgery that you'd be off meds... however, you shouldn't be taking short acting meds on a schedule anymore... maybe that is a concern? Long acting meds, yes, take those on schedule but the others should only be when you can't tough it out any longer (that might be a little over exaggerating, but should only be used when you are in true pain, not just discomfort ie, no alarm needed, you shouldn't be taking them like that). I didn't have a hard time coming off the meds, I mean... it wasn't "easy" but it wasn't difficult. I think that is because they tiered down my long acting slowly and I was use to not taking the short acting unless I really needed them.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck to you in your healing. Its a long road for sure, but then again... what alternatives did we have? I'm happy to say for the most part, I'm back to life as usual.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • For the short acting meds or break threw meds I dont take enless I absolutely have.which I tryed to explain to the lady but she wouldn't listen for the most part the break threw meds I take are mostly in the middle of the night or in the morning after I had my other meds just to help get me threw the rest of the day. I really try not to take the meds as much as possible and will go sometimes to long because thw pain will get that bad but I dont see a problem going with out the meds really. It just hurts or upsets me at the fact a women who is supposed to be there to follow my case and give me advice would say such a thing even knowing how I.feel.about the meds themselves. To me it just seems up professional when she wont even read the reports from my physical therapist or anyone else and then jump right to that.