Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone!

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah, I live in Hawaii (lived in Virginia but was born in Alabama), will be moving back to Virginia in January, and am almost 21 years old. I have 3 dogs: a Miniature Pinscher, a German Shepherd/Black Lab Mix, and a Daschund/Chihuahua/Corgi/Fox Terrier mix. I'm currently close to 30 weeks pregnant with a little girl who is due at the end of October, but I also suffer from Degenerative Disc Disease and Arthritis. I was diagnosed with DDD when I was 16 (right before I finished my sophomore year of high school) and arthritis at 19 (a few months after moving to Hawaii and a month or two before I turned 20). I'm in daily pain, even with medicine, and have to force myself to get up and do little things around the house (like get myself food/drinks, let the dogs out, help with making dinner, etc.) Without medicine, my pain averages between a 6 and 7 (I've grown accustomed to the pain, somewhat, but will have to use the walls for support or have to get my husband to help me walk around), and with my medicine, my pain averages between a 3 and 4.

I've had multiple MRIs (around 3 or 4) since being diagnosed with DDD and was actually going through Physical Therapy before I was diagnosed because an orthopedic believed I had inflamed Facet Joints from having mononucleosis (a friend had it, drank from my drink, and I got it after drinking from them). I saw 3 different therapists who all said it was a disc, so that was how they treated me. With my first MRI, I was told that I had 2 herniated discs (L4/L5 & L5/S1) but L4/L5 was the worst and was pressing on the sciatic nerve. I had surgery for that and was told that I should be fine and wouldn't need medicine after I healed from the surgery. Well I was still in constant pain, although it wasn't as bad as it was before my first surgery. My senior year of high school rolled around, and I was out for a month for inflaming my back after picking up some boxes at the grocery store I worked at. A steroid pack helped, and I was back at school within 6 weeks or so of having hurt my back. The end of my senior year rolled around, and I was out once again only a steroid pack didn't help that time. I had a second MRI and was scheduled for my second surgery to take care of L5/S1. I was then told that I would need a double level fusion by the time I hit 30 years old, if not sooner.

I moved to Hawaii in 2012, after my husband got hurt during his deployment, and majorly inflamed my back that June/July by walking a few miles around the base we're on. I was put on Tramadol, Neurotin, Lidoderm Patches, and a muscle relaxer. The combination somewhat helped, but it got to where, by the time I was referred to pain management, I was up to 6 Tramadol a day. Before going to Pain Management, I did Physical Therapy for the third time, but it only made me feel worse by the time my appointment was over. I also had a 3rd MRI which didn't show any difference other than a bit more degeneration in my discs. Pain management got me in, and they kept me on all of the medicines but the muscle relaxer. I also had a steroid injection in November of 2012, and it helped for a few months, but I've been iffy on getting another one between the pregnancy and because the original neurosurgeon I saw in Virginia advised me against them (they sped up the degeneration progression in my grandmother and dad).

As of right now, the only medicines I'm on are Percocet. They took me off of everything else (that was for my back) due to my becoming pregnant. The obstetrician is actually the one treating my back right now since he can monitor my baby's growth and everything. I also use a TENS Unit, but it only helps so much. My prescription is 1-2 Percocets every 6 hours as needed for pain...I was to where I could do 1-2 every 12 hours, but because of a mess with the doctors, I went 3 weeks without anything (and the pain was HORRIBLE!), so I'm to where I'm having to do 1 every 6 hours otherwise I'm in horrible pain again.

I've actually been dealing with pain induced nightmares (haven't had nightmares in a few years other than nights I'm in really bad pain) as well as pain induced hallucinations (had one last week where I thought there were spiders crawling all over one of my dogs' cone that he has one due to an eye infection; I probably freaked him out because I started swatting at the cone when I thought I saw spiders). But my back pain leaves me to where I can barely cook, clean, etc. It honestly makes me feel worthless because my husband has to do the majority of the work around the house, which I hate because he deals with enough stress at work. If I try doing anything around the house, I'm in bed for a few days because of the pain and have to get him to help me out of bed or to help me even roll over from one side to another because it just hurts so bad to move.
29 Weeks, 5 Days Pregnant
Degenerative Disc Disease
Diagnosed @ 16, 1st Surgery @ 16, 2nd Surgery @ 18
Diagnosed at 19

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/20/2013 - 10:31 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

One thing that I would strongly urge you not to do is spend your time laying down or not being active. All that serves to do is to make the muscles weaker and your endurance/tolerance to pain even less. You really need to be up and moving about, even just walking many many times per day. Short, multiple times a day walks, will not only increase your endurance but also help to help your body adjust and strengthen.
    DDD is a normal finding, anyone on the street is going to have some level of it if they are over the age of 18 or so. All that it means is that there is some drying of the discs as we get older. It happens to all of us and normally is not considered a finding of any significance, unless there is some other problem going on- herniated discs, etc, nerve impingement, or canal stenosis.
    The longer you are physically inactive, or minimizing your physical activity, the worse the pain will become due to the inactivity.