Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, I am Dustin

I have been thinking about joining a forum to learn more about my condition, so here I am! I've been dealing with back issues for the last year, and recently I realized I don't know a whole lot about what is wrong with me.

Over the past year I've been dealing with lower back pain that seems to last 3-4 weeks each episode. I can go a week to a few months relatively pain free between episodes. I had been seeing my doctor each time the pain got really bad, and she had just dismissed it as lumbar strain and sent me home with some paperwork. In May of this year, 2013, I relocated for work and obviously had to find a new doctor.

My new doctor took a great interest in finding out what would cause such frequent/chronic pain in someone my age(26). Due my lack of insurance he ordered an xray. At my next appointment he told me that xray showed Lumbar Spinal Stenosis/Lumbar Spondylosis. I wasn't prepared for this so I didn't have many questions to ask him, he gave me a bunch of prescriptions and a referral for a chiropractor and then physical therapy.

I don't have the money to see a chiropractor and I really don't have money for to see a physical therapist. So I have just been doing exercises to strengthen my core muscles and taking care not do anything that could hurt my back. I have been mostly pain free for the last two months however this week it has started to act up again but it isn't real bad yet.

Well that is me and my condition, I imagine we'll be around here for a while.

• Mary44681MMary44681 Posts: 3
    edited 08/20/2013 - 4:31 PM
    For the past two years I have back issues that were initiated from a back injury to L3,4,5 and S1, Neuropathy from sciatic nerve involvement etc. Apparantly prior to my injury I had issues that I never experienced and was very active and never even a twinge. Since my injury I have never had a day without pain issues. I was depressed, lost my job and getting through everyday was a chore, not to mention fighting with Workers Comp in Ohio. Anyway to make a long story shorter. I found a job that I can do through a great vocational counselor and found a great pain management doctor who specializes in back issues and even though I still have some depression ( more frustration than depression) having support has realy helped . I am facing a new treatment and am a bit nervous about it but have found that for me I do better the more I know beforehand. So I found this website and forum and am hoping to hear more and read more about Medial Nerve Blocks and different experiences with them. I had a series of Epidural injections and had pretty good results from 2 of 3 of them and my doc thinks I will do realy well with the Medial Nerve Blocks but still I am nervous. Knowledge is power though so here I am exploring everyone's experiences. If you have more to add let me know. I am glad I found this site! Thanks so much!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/22/2013 - 6:37 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Just so you know hon, they can not diagnose stenosis with an xray. The arthritis, they can but stenosis is a narrowing of either the areas of the spine where the nerve roots exit at each vertebral level or of the canal where the spinal cord passes, and neither of those can be seen clearly enough on xray. So take the diagnosis they gave you with a grain of salt for now.
    Doing the core strengthening excercises is a good idea, since that will help to strengthen and protect your spine , and hopefully help to prevent other problems.
    How old are you? It is really surprising that they would diagnose you with arthritis, unless you have a physically demanding job or have had one that might've been involving heavy lifting or moving stuff around alot.
    Injections might help down the road if you need further treatment, and anti inflammatory medications like advil usually help to reduce the inflammation that comes with arthritis.
    I know that the injections are scary but hopefully, they will offer you some relief and get you feeling better soon.
    If either of you need any help, feel free to private message me.