Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Charging difficulty with Medtronic stimulator

I got my permanent medtronic implant 3/29/13. My battery pocket healed slightly tilted, making charging very difficult. It's nearly impossible to get a good sync. I've been through agony with 2 faulty rechargers, 1 faulty recharger antenna and 2 faulty programmers! I use so much power I need to charge daily. With all my equipment problems, I find myself doubting the implant!I just scheduled another surgery to move the battery or fix the pocket.

Does anyone else have trouble with charging and have advice before I go under the knife again?

• Since you haven't had good luck so far in getting this remedied, I would contact your rep for Medtronic and if that doesn't resolve the problem, contact the company.
    Unfortunately, others who have had this problem seem to have to either find a way to make it work or undergo revision to move the pocket and then wait to see how that works as far as charging goes.
  • Hi
    It sounds like you need to have them check the unit and do a reprogram. Just call the rep and ask for some reprogramming and they should be able to test everything. You may have a bad unit. No way should you need to recharge everyday mine last up to three weeks used 24/7.
    If you have used the same programmer each time ask for another programmer.
    Something isn't right. Don't give up. This company has been very good when I need anything.
  • I have had a stimulator now for 2 years, the Reps are great!, however for the past 2 months charging has become a REAL PAIN... just trying to "sync up" has been difficult to say the least, I try and change the ant. move the position no matter what it's hard to sync. and I was told and read in the manual that you can charge with the belt on and the unit will sync through your cloths?, I can't even sync up direct skin contact! I have to charge min every week, 6-8 days and my alarm is going off, mine is on 18/7 and I need to charge a lot but just can't sync. anyone else with this issue?
  • I was going crazy with the same thing. They will re....??? something over the phone. Basically it helps your charger locate the battery. I still have a little trouble finding BUT once I find the area I get all the bars and can keep the charge. I know can wear the belt and have light contact but, I cant do it thru clothes????? PS I charge every 3-5 days.
  • I have newest model but make the call anyway
  • I received my perm implant on December 24. This Friday my Medtronic's rep is going to turn the AutoStim function on. However, I have a question about battery life.

I have noticed that if I get to 75% battery life, it takes me two hours to fully charge; 50% battery life, it takes me four hours to fully charge; and, 25% battery life, it takes me six hours to recharge. At my post-op appt., my rep told me to recharge sooner, rather than later, so that it wouldn't take as long. However, I get to 75% in 24 hours, and find myself having to sit and charge for two hours every single day.

I'm wondering if that could potentially change once I'm fully programmed. I'm currently running two programs at the same time - one is set around 5.80 - 6.20 (depending on my position), and the other one is set around 6.80 - 7.20 (depending on my position).

Does it sound normal that at that setting I'm recharging for two hours every single day? And, do you think that once I have the AutoStim turned on that it might make a difference?

I'm just very discouraged that I have to charge every day . . . my only option is to let the battery get down even further and have to spend even more hours at a time charging.

Any thoughts?

= Becky
  • if so, that last 25% will never completely charge. I use a 1/4 per day. Rep confirmed it never charges 100% Do you have medtronic? Two programs at once.
  • Hi Terri!

Yes, I have a Medtronic's device. So, you use 1/4 per day, too. How long do you wait to charge it, or do you charge it daily, too? And does yours take as long as mine does to charge - 2 hours per 25%?

Sorry to ask what might be stupid questions . . . I'm just so new to my device and am trying to figure out what warrants mentioning to my rep, and what doesn't!

• I pretty much charge on wed. and sat or sunday. now that I figured the belt out, I can do laundry and just charge. Somedays I still want to pull my hair out. One rep was able to hook my stim up to her unit and determine the 'strength' of the charge" Not sure if thats the right term. It showed although I was charging for many hours at what looked like 6-8 bars really wasnt. on her device it showed I was only getting like 25% of those bars. I did call Medtronics and they helped over the phone. I think I charge way to much but I sleep with it cranked up. I probably get 25% 45 mins to an hour