Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

October surgery

Hi there i am booked in for C5/C6 ACDF with a plate rods & screws. I have asked if he could use my own bone graft rather than allograft or a cage. This was a personal choice because about 5 years ago i had C6/C7 ACDF no plate rods or screws plus a doner allograft was used. Within 2 months the graft crashed down into my C7 vertebra. I know it wasn't the grafts fault but if i'm going to have bone wobbling around in me i think i would prefer it to be my own. Anyway back to my October surgery so is there anyone else having surgery in October & wants a buddy.

• susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 08/23/2013 - 8:54 PM
    It's been a while since we have heard from you. If you get a chance PM me. I have done a lot of research.

God Bless you and your wife,
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 10/20/2013 - 9:14 AM
    I was just asking if anyone had heard from you. It's been awhile like last June maybe.
    Sorry to hear you need another surgery but this just may be what you need to have a normal life. What are they doing with the first bone graft is it still lose. Have they discussed this?
    I always try to look at the bright side of everything when we can and the good thing is the anterior surgery is so much easier to get over and the recovery is much quicker.

Take care and good luck with this surgery.
    Ask if you need anything
  • It has been a tough few months my old family Doctor retired. My new doctor has been playing around with my medications at first i was not very amused but then i thought to myself maybe a change is just wot i need. So me being a pig headed male i decided to stop taking 8 out of the 10 medications. Wow that 6 weeks was a fun ride. The look on my doctors face when i told him was priceless. Now i am over the detox i actually feel better now than when i was on them. My new doctor has put me on some new pain medication witch is helping to a degree. I have to see him every week & he will keep changing things until he gets the dosage right. It has all left me feeling a whole lot more positive. Now with the surgery booked in for October i am on the hunt for some October surgery buddies please. As far as i know Rick they are just going leave the other graft unless it causes more problems. This next surgery is at the C5/C6 i am hoping that is the source of all of my pain.. hope is a good thing.......
  • I wish you well on the surgery and I too hope it's the source of pain.
    It never hurts to have a second or third set of eyes looking into your care.
    Sometimes med changes make a big positive difference I would caution you on changing or stopping so many at a time. My newest PM only makes one.change per week or two so we know more what the change does. Stopping cold turkey can do some.damage depending on your drugs.
    In Denver at the airport I met a man paralyzed from the waist down with a cord injury at the same place has mine. He had a interesting take on pain meds. He says we are never pain
    free and most pain meds need to be increased over time to keep is comfortable but not pain free. He stopped all pain meds and says he is still in pain but feels better and the pain does not seam to increase it stays at a level he feels he can deal with.. Then the poor guy was in another accident and had to have one foot amputated which did start some more new phantom pain but he deals with that with meditation and acupuncture.
    Anything is worth a try.

I do hope they tie down that lose fusion in you just so it can't do any damage later.

Good Luck
  • mbridgemanmmbridgeman Posts: 20
    edited 08/27/2013 - 4:10 PM
    I'm scheduled for Oct 9 (was originally Sept 3 but I got my NS to agree, although hesitantly, to push it back). The sad reason is, I need to get in the sick leave bank at work and I can't get in until Oct. I can't afford weeks without pay...a few days, I can tolerate.
    Anywho, I am supposed to have ACDF (I forget which discs, or maybe I'm blocking from nerves) with allograft and a titanium plate/screws. My NS says no PT or collar. I'm not in pain, just annoying numbness and tingling in my arms and hands off and on. The thing that worries me is the disc herniation is compressing my spinal cord to the point where I have no protective fluid around it in that area.
    I've been lurking here for a while but can only read so much before it starts to get to me. I finally decided to join today.
    I'm considering going into surgery with foam bolts on my neck and a bride of Frankenstein wig...thoughts? LOL
  • It's good to hear from you again Rick, I know it can be a bit stupid to stop taking my meds but i had reached a point where something had to change. I found myself in severe pain at about 3am standing in my kitchen staring at a cupboard full of prescribed medication & none of it helped so thats when i decided it's time to get off some of this poison. One of the best decisions i ever made. But i must admit detoxing from some of them was not exactly a fun ride. Probably the hardest 6 weeks of my life. The look on my doctors face when i told him was priceless & i got a huge telling off from him as well. Hi there mbridgeman i would be great to have a surgery buddy. I don't know if it's true or not but i have heard that it's better to have surgery in October than any other month of the year LOL. Please stay in touch & feel free to PM me any time.
    Take care all
    Allan (bundy)
    edited 08/29/2013 - 1:54 AM
    I've never heard that about October but I LIKE it! I have never had this type of surgery before so any advice or thoughts you can offer would be much appreciated :)
  • bundybbundy Posts: 61
    edited 08/31/2013 - 2:49 AM
    I have been trying to think back to when i had an ACDF the main things it's much less painful than posterior. If i remember rightly i woke from my ACDF surgery with a bit of a sore throat which was gone in a day or two. You just have to do wot your surgeons tell you to do or not to do. Don't over do things & give your body a chance to heal. I like to think positive thought helps also or is that a bit to new age? lol
    take care,
  • I would worry about this.
    Laying on a table partially knocked out
    And you hear the surgeon say
    October Don't sound good to me Ha ha haha

• Not too new age at all, imo. I think the brain is a powerful tool...mind over matter, right? :) Thanks for those words of advice.

@ Rickilalas....I hope I don't HEAR anything while I'm knocked out. That would be a whole other problem. :)
  • There will be no trick or treat this October Rick but i bet i will be listening & if i hear anything like "Trick or Treat" partially knocked out or not i will be running surgical gown tubes & all LOL. It might be funny but it wont be pretty. I'm sorry i haven't been on for a while but my new doctor is changing my pain medication to a much stronger type & for some reason it's just not helping that much i just cant seem to catch a break or so it seems. A good night sleep would go a long way to fixing my negative attitude. Fingers crossed for sleep tonight.......
  • bundybbundy Posts: 61
    edited 09/20/2013 - 12:59 AM
    just another 3 weeks i don't know why but this one is worrying the heck out of me. The pain in my right arm is as bad if not worse than my left arm. My new doctor has me on both slow release & fast release morphine but all it seems to do is make me feel dizzy & nauseous without doing anything to stop my pain. How are you doing Michelle? How is your pain now? You are only a couple of weeks away from your surgery now. I hope you are not feeling to nervous. If you are a bit nervous feel free to pm me anytime you never know i might be able to help. I am going to try & have a early night fingers crossed for a small miracle & maybe i will fall asleep fast. Good night all!
  • Thank you for thinking of me :) I try not to think about it...keep my mind busy. I teach teenagers all day so that's enough to drive anyone to distraction (if not crazy) ;-) I know right before my surgery, I will probably be a nervous wreck. I think just not knowing what to expect bothers me the most. Everyone's situation/case is different and everyone recuperates at a different rate. I'm still not in a lot of pain, although my fomer pa told me pain isn't necessarily a bad thing to have....at least it means you're still FEELING. My neck is bothering me a bit today (and most of last night). I took 600 mg of ibuprofen but that will have to end soon as I'm sure you know.
    I hope they will give me something to calm my nerves before surgery. I have to be at the hospital by 8 am and my surgery is scheduled for 12:30. That's going to be a LOOOOONG 4 hours :(
    By the way, I am loving me some zzzquil. If you haven't tried it, you should! I hope your pain subsides and you can get some rest!
  • I love that stuff, it really works and all I have to do is take one capsule and i am asleep. It really is great stuff when you are tossing and turning.
    Orlando Florida
    4 Level ACDF
    October 15th, 2013
  • I agree! It's really great stuff...now if they'd just make something to make my husband quit snoring....oh wait, I guess they do. They're called ear plugs. LOL
    I'm 10 days from surgery and nursing a sinus infection :( I really hope this isn't going to mess up my surgery date. Started a Z-pak Friday and will be done with it Tuesday....8 days before surgery. Fingers crossed that's good enough. If not, I reschedule AGAIN. Anyone else have anything like this happen?
  • Bummer it sounds like it works. I should ask our chemist & see if there is an equivalent over here. That's not good news about your sinus infection i hope you can get it sorted before your surgery date. There is nothing more frustrating than having to reschedule i think for my first surgery it had to be rescheduled 4 times for various reasons. We (my wife & i) have all of our fingers crossed for you Michelle. Stay in touch mate. I am 16 days away from my surgery now. So i have a bunch of forms to fill out plus blood tests to do at least i am well & able to do it all but still it's nervous times now. I hate surgery in case you havn't noticed lol.
    edited 10/01/2013 - 4:06 PM
    I wish you had told me you were from New Zealand before now...I've been reading your posts in an boring American accent...now I have to go back and reread them in a cool NZ accent :)
    Thank you for your kind words and support. I will be thinking of you too and saying special prayers. Keep in touch!! If I could send you zzzquil in the mail, I would but I'm not sure that's legal ;)
  • How are you? How did your surgery go? I hope it went well for you & you had a good rest in hospital. I hope your sinus infection cleared up in time for your surgery. I am at the stage of packing my bag ( to be honest my wife Ange is ) i have to be at hospital on Wednesday morning at 6.30am for my surgery. It has come around so fast but then again at 4am in agony the time seemed to drag. But it's here now oh yay. Wot a shock to find out that the private hospital i am having the pleasure of staying in doesn't have Wi-Fi so no computer no internet i don't know how i'm going to survive!! So it's bye for now i hope everything is going well for you Michelle & i will be back in 3/4 days (i hope) God bless..
    edited 10/14/2013 - 11:08 AM
    I am back...surgery was succesful and trust me, you won't have time for internet. I think I caught up on 10 yrs of sleep in the hospital! LOL I'm doing well, just extremely exhausted and trying to rest (that's the hardest part for me b/c I like to stay busy). You will do great. Keeping you in my prayers and let us know how you are as soon as you're up to it!
  • I wish you well I will pray for you. Please update as soon as possible. I wish this awful pain will finally be a thing of the past. I remember the pain I was in prior to my posterior surgery on 8/8/13.

Gentle Hugs

• Bundy
    Probally to late but wanted to say Good Luck to you before surgery.
    Stay positive it does get better. You do not need WI FI in the hospital
    You have nurses to play with!!!! Just remember they don't always play well..

Sounds like yours went good. Take your time and recover right, it does help.

Good Luck to both of you

• hi Michelle great to hear you are back & doing well. It's great to hear that word " Succesful " i'm so happy for, you now you have to rest & allow your body to heal. I am a few hours away from heading in so i'm getting as much internet time as possible before it is so cruelly taken away from me. LOL. Hi Susabell thanks for your prayers & good wishes i realy do hope this is the end of the pain, I have to believe it will be otherwise i wont get in the car in a few hours. Hey there Rick some might call me greedy but why can't we have Wi-Fi & nurses? I must say not even some old school Pink Floyd blasting through my headphones is helping the nerves i really am a big girl on the inside, i'm a tattooed guy on the out side but a big girl on the inside lol. Any way i must get going & i will get back online as soon as i am home Big kiwi love & best wishes to all & see ya in a few days!
  • Can't wait to see your post of successful surgery! You're in my thoughts and prayers :)
  • Well it looks like it has gone well!.Still in a lot of pain down my arms but my surgeon thinks it can take a while for it all to settle down at least the pins & needles are mostly gone Yay But it's bloody good to be home it really is. So Michelle how are you getting on? I hope you haven't had any problems while i was away. Well i'm off for a nap & i'l catch up a bit later.
  • This is "Great News". Yes I agree it's always better at home. Now is time to rest & rest that is healing time!!!

Take care,
  • Hips don't lieHHips don't lie Posts: 12
    edited 10/23/2013 - 4:42 AM
    On Oct 1st I had C5-C6 ACDF with my own hip bone so I'm 3 weeks post op. What an incredibly long 3 weeks!!
    I go through various emotions and some days there is so much pain and some are so much better... Yesterday I couldn't reach for anything without extreme pain... Today it's so much better!! The hip pain is fine unless I over do it. I take 5 mg of Percocet every 4 hours and nothing else... It just takes the edge off the pain for me... The doctor is already talking about tapering my meds off and I'm so worried about it because the pain takes over every thought when I don't take anything...
  • about the amount pain i still have in both arms but it has only been a week since my surgery. Today for me has been the worse since my release from hospital & i was starting to think i was going mad. But after reading your post Hips don't lie it has reassured me that things are progressing as they should thanks for that. Just like you my doctors have reduced my medications & are talking about coming off them all together. No one seems to be listening to me at all. Oh well that feels better getting that little GRRrrrrr out of my head. I just want he pain to stop that's all & i am so close to just loosing it.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 10/29/2013 - 12:52 PM
    Hello Bud
    Take your time and do this right it can change your life
    Keep your.elbows against your.body when picking thins up. This sounds dumb but reaching out will feel like picking up something and pulling it up through your butt. No Joke.
    Wish you well buddy you need this to go right so you get your life.back

• Hips don't lieHHips don't lie Posts: 12
    edited 10/26/2013 - 11:45 AM
    I went to see my son in hiss Halloween parade today. I am so much more mobile this week And feel like I can almost sleep lying down instead of sitting up... I can't wait until I can roll onto my side and sleep : )
  • I have been doing things slowly any slower & i would be at a full stop LOL. No it doesn't sound dumb i have heard it before & i use it as much as possible. I thank you my friend for your best wishes. It's good to hear hips dont lie that you are so much more mobile you sound like you are well on the mend. Has anyone heard from Michele for a week or two?