Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior Slip of L5 on S1

I'm a 35 year old male, and have had on off low back pain for about three years. I've recently been diagnosed through MRI scan with a posterior slip of the L5 vertebrae on the sacrum (S1) with a degenerative extruded disc in between. I have associated sciatic pain in my left leg caused by the extruded fragment pushing on the nerve.

I'm waiting on a consultation to discuss possible treatment, does anyone have any knowleadge or experiance of this type of problem and possible remedies?

I've done some research but is seems that in most cases the L5 slips forward rather than back so not sure is treatment would be the same.

Any advice or pointers on this I'd be grateful.

• Slips in vertebre can either be called a spondylolysthesis ( forward slip) or a retrolisthesis (posterior or backward slip). Irregardless of the direction of the slip, the treatment is still usually the same, depending on the degree of the slippage. That is measured in degrees , 1st degree -25% or less, 2nd- degree-26-50% slip , 51%-75%- is 3rd degree , and finally 76%-100% is considered to be the most serious.
    It really depends on how far the slip is, whether it is impinging either the canal where the spinal cord passes or if the exiting nerve roots are compromised/impinged. If there is compression of either the canal or the nerve roots, the usual treatment is fusion to realign the spine and placement of short rods and screws to hold the vertebra in place.
    At the L5-S1 level, there is not as much movement circumfrentially as there is at the other lumbar levels because of the fact that L5 sits between your pelvic bones so there isn't the side to side rotation that there is at other levels.
    If I can be of any assistance, feel free to private message me or ask on the forums.