Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hey everybody< Well I am 5 months out from my ACDF and now am going to have L5-S1 ALIF and posterior lumbar fusion. The doctor said they are going to go from the front and the back. This sounds like a lot. I have done ok with the ACDF, just some muscle pain and loss of ROM to the left. Can anybody tell me what the recovery time for this one will more than likely be. I am 51yrs old smoke half a pack a day [looking forward to the 4 day stay in hospital to quit].I have had a laminectomy in this same spot 10 yrs ago

• scubag8er I"m glad to hear you're healing form your ACDF. That's a start to a better life eh? I have an PLIF L4-L5 and that took about a month I guess from me to really starting moving around the house more. About 3 months before I really starting feeling more comfortable and I'd say about 6 months before I truly felt like my old self. You're having both the PLIF and ALIF so I'm not sure how long it may take. But, just remember take it easy, don't rush it at all. Best of luck to you....

1992 L5/S1 Laminectomy
    2001 L5/S1 Second Laminectomy
    2008 L5/S1 Fusion.

Current Condition:
    C5-C6 disc herniation
    C6-C7disc bulge
    C2-C6 Spinal Stenosis and Foramina Stenosis, facet joint degeneration and osteophyte
  • I just had this same surgery done on Aug 5th (Anterior) and Aug 7th (Posterior). I am doing amazing I am walking about 2.5 miles a day right now. My pain level is a very manageable 3-4. I actually have my post op today with my doctor and am very excited about when I can return to work and start some more activity! Let me know if you have any questions at all I will be happy to share my story.
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • Be very careful not to do too much too quickly! I swear that's what caused my on-going pain. I felt like a new person 3 months out from surgery. Pain was gone, I was getting in the best shape of my life when I was put into "Work Conditioning" to get ready to go back to work. They started the BLT on me and that's when pain returned that has continued to get worse ever since.

2.5 miles at this point is wonderful! Ask about doing aqua therapy. It helped me so much getting flexion back into my muscles.

Just don't over do it...
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2