Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post-op shocker story

I had 3 lumbar lamenectomies, 1 diskectomy, dura tear of spine chord covering, fracture of spine repair, fluid filled sac removed and area reshaped on August 13
I am 8days post-op and still in the hospital.
Devloped a little plegm in my lung from surgery, not pneumonia or serious respiratory problem

A few days ago this Respiratory Cleaning System called "the vest" was brought into my room.
Its used for severe cases of unresolved pneumonia and cystic fibrosis for examples

This vest was put onto my body surrounding my entire chest and thoracic spine and the treatment was set for 20 min
"THE VEST" was turned on and very vigorous shaking of my chest and torso started.

10 minutes into treatment, i felt this sharp sciactic like pain in my hip and then immediately following my right leg from the hip to foot went totally numb. Frightened, i ripped off as quickky the velcro vest and threw it onto the floor

Now two days later, my hip still has sciactic pain. And i have the pre-op numbness that had IMPROVED come back again.
Plus sharp pain in my low back that i never had before

Any thoughts my friends?

• I am so sorry you continue to have problems you just can't seem to catch a break! You are still in my daily thoughts and prayers and I hope you get better!
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • I'm sorry! My thoughts are with you, and I hope you get better. I just don't get it, why would they use that vest while you are recovering from back surgery? Did anyone talk to your Orthopedic first?
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 08/22/2013 - 2:58 PM
    I think the physician asst made the call on his own

Had MRI today to see if there is injury

If so, i am HIRING
  • absolutely sounds crazy to put on with someone who has just gone through spine surgery. Hope they get help for you soon so you don't have to suffer so long. I am so sorry you are going through this, my heart goes out to you, am wishing you relief soon.
    ACDF C4/5, C5-6
    June 17, 2013
  • Sorry to hear that! I would think 3 lami's alone would make your spine "unstable". I've never heard of someone having that many. Had a dr tell me once I couldn't have multiple disectomys because they include a lami and would make everything too unstable. But who knows, I'm not a dr!!
    I would hire a lawyer, sounds terrible!
    99/00 L4/5 & L5/S1 herniation
    2001 L5/S1 microdisectomy age 25
    severe DDD at surgery level
    2011 pars
    2012 RFA L/3/4/5
    7-02-13 L4/5 l5/S1 360 fusion ALIF PLIF
    DX spondylitis , DDD, scoliosis, and slight kyphosis
  • OMG...I know what kind of vest you are talking about and CAN NOT believe they put that on you with recent spinal surgery!!!!! Who's flippin idea was that???????? The respiratory therapist? Did they clear this with the surgeon? You should ask for someone high up in the hospital to come to your room asap. Not sure who that is, but there are crisis management people in hospitals who deal with this stuff. tell them that you want a documentation of what was done and a new MRI asap (at no charge) to be reviewed by an independent professional, comparing your pre surgery MRI. If it was your surgeon who ordered the vest, you dont want him/her to do the review as it would be biased. Insist on this as they may have injured you with this vest. You may need to lawyer up too. Just crazy!!!! I feel so bad for you!!
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • Is there any news on what the findings were regarding the pain and numbness? I can not believe that they put that vest on you and left you with it on after spine surgery. I don't know what the respiratory therapist was thinking but obviously they didn't consider that you just had surgery.
  • A physicians asst made the call on his own to have yhis treatme t ordered for me.. i had a little congestion
    Ths sciactic pain is the worse as a result of this unnecessary treatment
    MRI revealed swelling, fluid build up,inflammatio
    I do not need another surgery to do repairs
    Surgeon was THRILLED because with post-op DURA SPINE COVERING TEAR he was afraid of complications

So they are didchsrging me today with who knows how many steriods and anti-inflams to bring me back to post-op

ThankGod i dont have to have a surgery

With all of uour GREAT suggesyions and input, i will be seeking advice from an attorney

So muvh for # 1 TOP ORthoPEDIC HOSPITAL IN THE USA
    Thanks and hugs
    ROSE MORE STenosis

• I suggest that you write down all about what happened, when, who carried it out and what you felt.
    The more detail you can put the better.
    By the time this is investigated (if that happens) you may have forgotten the fine details of it all.

Let's hope that no harm has been done and that it won't affect your recovery in any way.

I am glad to hear that you are going home. Please do make sure that you have effective pain meds to take home with you.

• I had a feeling the surgeon did not order this. It would be the hospital's responsibility for sure. So glad you did not have to have further surgery!!!
  • Thank goodness that you are going home and don't need further surgery. It is frightening that you were put in this position. Before you leave, fill out all of the paperwork to get all of your medical record copied and sent to you, including all of the surgery, nursing, tests , physician notes, etc sent to you. Otherwise, you might find things missing later......
  • Oh, home sweet painful home!
    Took the 2 1/2 hour ride pretty well from hospital to home, pillows everywhere
    NO PAIN MEDS OF COURSE but I am home

I was in the hospital so longgggggggg that its already time to take out the sutures on Tuesday

So Tuesday backkkkkkkkkkk. To NYC from the Jersey shore

They made so many decisions that were horrible mistakes and they fear a LAW SUIT i thought making the painful trip back to the surgeons office for suture removal so that they cant say my visiting nurses etc....did something to slow down my process

Thanks my preciuos August buddies and site friends for your support, concern and encouragement

Said now with new injury it will take six months to see if it ,"awakens again"

Love from my heart to you all

• Glad you are home. Believe it or not, you posting you experience will make us and others who read this informed for future hospital stays. You better bet they are concerned about you getting a lawyer. Hope you can keep the pain controlled at home and heal, heal, heal!!
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 08/26/2013 - 2:25 PM
    I FINALLY GOT HOME ON Sarlturday afternnon
    There is no place like home
    Only 24 hours i am running a 103 fever and headache
    I have to go back to NYC for blood and urine cultures and while there sutures will be removed

Its two weeks post-op and was in hospital 12 days, its amazing

How are my august buddies?

Hugs and hershey kisses
    Maybe i will be asse dmitted, or ad hould i say, i should NOT have been discharged with serious UTI
  • grammaof9ggrammaof9 Posts: 263
    edited 08/26/2013 - 2:51 PM
    Didn't you tell me that this was the #1Hospital in New York? I am so sorry. I had the 4 level cervical and developed some kind of infection and they took me for all kinds of tests and they were making sure that I had no infection around or near the titiaum screws or rods. I also had 3l laminectomies as well but cervical. So they said pneniuma but never ran 103. Ran 101.7 but I have low IGG levels which makes it more easier for me to get infections but they never came in with any kind of vest. I hope you are on your way to recovering soon and my thoughts are with you and extra prayers for you.