Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is this pain still real?

tuffluck13ttuffluck13 Posts: 36
edited 08/22/2013 - 5:59 AM in Pain Medications
Before I ask my question I want to give a little run down about myself. I'm currently being treated for ddd at l5 s1 the same disc is also herniated with an annular tear but the tear is very small. I currently take norco 10/325 4x a day. I went 2 years with my back being untreated due to no insurance. Its now year 4 with the last 2 years being medicated. I've done the epidural cortisone injections and bilateral facet blocks (3 times) which gave me some relief but not near what I hoped it would.

My question is I recently got another mri and shows everything still being exactly the same as it was 2 years ago. I'm currently to the point of no longer wanting to take the meds due to the mental stress and also feelings of how would I ever know if I'm still in pain if I contnue taking the meds. I have an apointment with my doctor next Friday to discuss this with him. I just want to know if anyone has any advice or better yet if anyone thinks it would be wise for me to get off the meds with this condition? Has anyone here ever stopped and actually felt somewhat better? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note I no longer go to pain management and am solely treated by my pcp. I didn't like how they constantly tried to cram meds down my throat, and the ortho surgeons I've seen all say the same thing "surgery or deal with it".

L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 08/22/2013 - 6:19 AM
    I've had my share of spinal surgeries and still have MRI's to determine if anything new has happened or existing conditions worsen.
    I've been on narcotics for over 8 years now... My current dosage is relatively low (Oxycodone 5mg) but still ..

I've talked to my doctor about reducing this and potentially eliminating it. My dosage has been PRN, 4 a day, but recently because of flare ups , its hit 5 or 6. I refused to allow that to continue , so I've tried everything to get it back to a manageable 4.

One week, I tried to stay with 2 capsules only and use Advil along with my non-traditional methods (music/aroma therapy).
    That was not too successful. Talking it over with my doctor again, she said, right now, you need what you are taking.... They may be a time when you can reduce or eliminate that, but not now.

So for now, medicine, narcotics are in my daily schedule.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That's kind of what's been happening with me too. I'm just to be honest mentaly exhausted from taking the meds :(
    L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol