Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laminectomy 11/10/11 went great but symptoms returning

Hello, i had a l4/l5 laminectomy on 11/10/11 did great all my leg pain and lower back pain went away. The end of June 2013 had a positive pregnancy test and not even 4 days later this pain in my lower back and tailbone came pretty strong. I misccaries on 8/8/13 and my lower back pain is still pretty bad but the burning sensation down my leg has started more frequently. I still feel better than presurgery but I can't take the back pain.

Went to have an MRI last night and have an appt to see a different Neuro on Monday than the one who performed my surgery. Then I will make an appt to see my original surgeon. Also, have an appt for pain management on Tuesday and hoping i can get some PT to see if anything will help make me more comfortable.

I sit all day at my job which is making it very hard to even work because the pain and discomfort. i would like to avoid any other type of surgery.

Its so discouraging.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 08/24/2013 - 8:12 AM
    for the loss of your pregnancy, and for the return of the back pain. It could very well be a simple flare up sciatica, especially since your job requires sitting primarily.
    I hope that they can find the answers on the MRI and that it doesn't involve further surgery.....
  • So I had an MRI done 2 weeks ago and it shows L3/L4 desiccation with a disc protusion noted measuring 3mm. There is a high T2 signal notes within the protruded disc anteriorly and in the right paracentral position of the disc seen in axial T2 image #8 measuring 6mm in tranverse dimension and 1-2 mm in AP dimension representing radial tear of the annulus fibrosis versus partial voluming from ostephyte at this level.

L4/L5 there is moderate disc dessication with decreased disc height . 3MM disc bulge on the left side . There is minimal facet disease at this level . mild bilateral neural forminal norrowing.

I know that surgery has to be put off for the very end but Im losing hope. I feel horrible taking medication but by the end of the day I am so beat all I want to do is crawl in my bed.

To top it off I started with a new symptom that my arms go totally dumb when Im trying to sleep on my sides. Very scary and only being 35 . What will my future hold for me. ;'(
  • When do you talk with your doctor? Lumbar problems would not cause your arms to go numb when you are sleeping. The spinal nerves in the lumbar area have nothing to do with your arms. Do you lean on desks alot or your forearms, when working? If you do, it could be ulnar neuropathy- which is a compression of the ulnar nerve in your elbow. Putting too much pressure on your elbows, forearms, can cause the ulnar nerve to become compressed and then you get the numbness.
    I'm sorry that things are so difficult right now, but hopefully, your surgeon will have answers for you soon.
  • Thank you so much for always responding to my post.

I will see my GP tomorrow regarding my arms and I have my epidural injection on Friday. I'm really looking foward to the injection hoping it gives me some sort of relief.

• They can do a test called an emg to see if it is ulnar neuropathy. Is it the last three fingers on your hands, and possibly some diminished sensitivity on the other two ( thumb and forefinger) ? I will check back later to see how your appointment went today. Hopefully, you got good news.
  • My arms are much better hardly no numbness at all sometimes. I think it was all the stress of getting some of the back issues again. Learning to take one day at a time instead of thinking so far in the future.

It just gets so hard to deal with this pain and trying to tough it out without pain meds. I'm exhausted by the time i get home from work and hurt a lot.
  • We all understand, dealing with pain, day in and day out is exhausting. Do you use ice or heat /heating pad at home? What about using a lumbar support pad while at work or driving? It might help alot to reduce some of the pain. I like those over the counter heat patches you can buy, and wear for hours at a time, they really do help to ease some of the muscle pain from sitting or walking too much....
  • oc5755ooc5755 Posts: 26
    edited 09/25/2013 - 10:42 AM
    The heating pad helps me alot at work hoping the adjustable desk they ordered helps me even more. I also want them to send me to PT but i have to wait until Friday to ask the Dr.
  • Hello, I just wanted to come back and say I am doing better... I still have the burning sensation on my legs but the Neurontin 1200mg a day has helped me tremendously. My back pain has subsided as well. I do not take pain meds which is a plus. I was able to get a standing desk for work and I can sit or stand. Wishing everyone a pain free day.