Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve ablation - Rhiztomy? How long did yours last for?

Hello all,

I posted this a couple of days ago in another forum but no replies.. so thought i'd try here. If you've had a rhiztomy or nerve ablation in your lumbar area I'd really like to hear how long it actually lasted for you.... I had my first rhizotomy in April - 3 nerves were done on the left side from L4 down... It was a tough recovery from it as the nerves were dying off, and it took 3 weeks to feel good and I must say I felt pretty dang good until I didn't lol! About 3 weeks ago I started to very occasionnally have a fleeting shot of sciatica again, but the pain went as quick as it came... until a couple of days ago...now the pain is back with a vengence... and not going... I was told I could get 18/24 months of relief with the rhizotomy... and clearly 4 months seems pretty quick and isn't worth the 3 weeks of hell when the nerves were dying off... so... just wondering how long of benefit others got.... I really want to hear from others so that I can be better informed when I go back to my PM doc and discuss my options....

Thanks everyone and hope you feel better too!!
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
    edited 08/23/2013 - 12:37 PM
    I have had two and both of them lasted only two weeks for me. A couple weeks of extra pain followed by two weeks relief and then business as usual.
  • It was the first time that you had it done and it can last from a few weeks to over a year, depending in large part, how quickly those nerve fibers regrow. It can be done over and over, and usually the results get better each time it is repeated.
  • Thats the first i've heard that it can be more effective the more the procedure is done.... it certainly wasn't an easy recovery and the thoughts of going through the recovery again for such little benefit is not winning me over LOL!! I'll look into what you're saying as its new info... thanks!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD