Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

14 Weeks Post-Op - Still Getting New Symptoms

Hi everyone,

These forums have been a source of information for me the past 12 months. I have come to a place in my recovery where answers no longer seem to exist.

I had a L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 05/14/2013. I dealt with a rather large herniation for seven months before surgery. I am 14 weeks post op at this point. The severe left leg pain I had before surgery is all but gone.

New roaming symptoms have appeared over the past four weeks. One area will hurt, ache, feel numb, but everything else feels pretty good. Then the symptom moves to a new area, and even back to old ones.

About four weeks ago I began feeling a deep numbness in my tailbone. That lasted about a week, then went away. Soon as that feeling left, an ache and numbness appeared in my perineal region. That has persisted for three weeks now. It's almost as if there is a slight pressure in there, for lack of a better description. My testicles often feel tender and uncomfortable. I have had maybe two days the past three weeks when I didn't feel it too much. This one just doesn't want to move on.

My latest MRI showed nothing that should be causing new symptoms. I think my doctor was checking for CES when he ordered the test. He says I am clear, but is going to look at my MRI again next week. From what I've read online, I have symptoms in similar areas, but nowhere near the extent of CES.

Has anyone else gone through a similar recovery? I am finding it hard to understand how the old pain is gone, but new symptoms are appearing 14 weeks into recovery. Frustrated does not begin to describe my state of being at this point.

Thanks for reading!

• I was told to expect odd things up to a year after surgery as the nerves can take that long to recover. I posted on another thread that I am going to be 91 days post op this tuesday (I had surgery Tuesday, May 28th) and I woke up with number legs that have turned into jabbing pains in my toes. I have worse pain in my tailbone but I think I am sitting too much.

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Hi BrokenBuckeye,
    I'm 18 weeks post op and I totally understand when you talk about the "roaming pain." It's like there's a pain in my body and every morning I wake up and wonder where it will settle today!
    I feel my surgery has been totally successful so far but the new pains are soooo frustrating. Sometimes it's hip or calf or toe pain. I've just spent 5 days back in hospital with severe tummy pain which turned out to be a trapped nerve. My family are saints to put up with me moaning about something new every few days. I suppose the body takes a long to heal and I need to have more patience.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    DDD. Married,Mum of 2, Age 45: 2007 & 2008 L5/S1 Discectomy
    April 2013 L5/S1 Anterior Fusion
    & L4/L5 Artificial Disc Replacement
  • for weeks (since surgery 4/1) I've been saying that things change every day.. I cannot believe you guys are still feeling this stuff after 14 weeks but HEY so am I! i'm at over 16 weeks and I still feel different every day... sharp pains here, nerve issues there... it is pretty crazy but have been told WAIT A YEAR!!
  • Dawnylou68DDawnylou68 Posts: 46
    edited 09/11/2013 - 11:46 AM
    Hi all
    I too am still suffering, mainly pain in my hip and butt which was there before op, also occasional numbness still in foot and pains down legs can't lay on left side. Failed return to work w/c 20/7/13 and still off. Do think it's slowly getting better but it's taking so long no life this year.
    On 8 x 50 mg of Tramadol still but some days do without one of doses. Very bad when I first get up have to roll put of bed. Seemed to have gone bk weeks since tried to return to work. Scared something's wrong and would like another MRI.
  • I'm 13 weeks out of a L2-4 fusion and decompression and I too am feeling the roaming pains. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! I'm still taking 3 doses of 10 mg Percocet a day and Robaxin for muscle relaxant after I got off the Valium. l'll tell you the valium helped. The robaxin doesn't, but its addictive and I can't be on it forever. I had gone down to 7.5 mg Percocet but at the 12 week mark when they released me to more activity I found I was hurting a lot more and having a lot of weird pains and achiness, especially in my right leg and sometimes in my left on a really bad day and taking a Vicodin to help, so my pain doctor put me back to the 10 mg Percocet and I'm still taking it every 8 hours. I am fusing well according to the doctor but he told me to expect weird pains and numbness and achiness for up to a year from the surgery itself and I still have to have levels S1-L4 fused to the ones I just had done, but hoping to hold out for as long as possible. It's just a wonder everyday which part of my body will work or hurt?
    Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 09/16/2013 - 2:18 PM
    Oh my goodness
    A year! I cant even imagine it
    Seems some days (5 weeks post-op) its MINUTE BY MINUTE
    And the insomnia is crazy!
    Makes that 24 hiur day longer when you dont sleeo through the night
    Anyone not sleeping much?
  • @Rose
    Yes I seem to only sleep for a couple of hours and I have had as much as 4 hrs very occasionally, I think I must turn onto my bad side and wake myself up I get twitchy legs at times too v frustrating.
    Still on 8 x Tramdol and no further improvement since my last post. Walking still hurts at all times but I keeping at it.
  • There just has to be relief on its way to you.
    Hang in there sweetie
    I will keep yiu in my prayers for relief and healing