Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg press lower back injury

Hi, this morning at the gym I injured my lower back. I was doing leg presses (the lying down type). I did a couple of sets of 12 and half way through the 3rd set (pressing 120kg), when I was pushing out I felt a ?pop ?tear something in my lower back. Immediate pain and loss of leg strength. I stopped immediately. Lower back is very sore. Central pain. Radiating around hips and some nerve shooting pain in legs. I have gently stretched lower back, taken anti inflammatory's and put ice pack on area a couple of times since it happened. Any idea what I might have done? Any other things I should be doing to treat area?

• Of course we cannot begin to diagnose, but with the leg weakness, sounds like your nerve could be involved, maybe a bulging disc? I would keep icing it this weekend and get an appointment with your doc next week. Maybe they can order an MRI to get a better look at what was damaged. Dont lift anything heavy or make sudden movements until you are seen. A bulge is easier to deal with, a rupture will most likely lead to surgery....not always, but more likely. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • Thank you. I am taking it easy. After I have iced it feels a lot better & I have more movement for awhile. I'll keep it up & keep u updated. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. My legs only lost weakness the second it happened. I have full leg strength now.
  • PamhoffcaPPamhoffca Posts: 163
    edited 08/23/2013 - 6:11 PM
    Oh, thats good news....you may have damaged your disc...or not. You just want to make sure you take it easy for a while so that if it is your disc, you keep it from rupturing (like mine did). I believe I had a torn disc in the spring with a little bulge perhaps...had some lower back pain for a while with a little siatica, nothing major...just annoying. Then on vacation, I made the mistake of getting on the back of a jet ski with my husband driving. Well, with the bumpy ride, pounding my spine, I'm positive that ride ruptured my disc. I woke up the next morning in agony...could not walk..my right leg was on fire and my foot numb. I really wish I had someone who had told me to take it easy and not take risks with my back!!!!

I hope you have a good outcome!
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • Hi, I know this is an old post but I did the exact same thing at around the same time (approx. 3 years ago). I've since taken up running and lately, have been experiencing pain in the right buttock. I've had this now for around 8 weeks, took 5 weeks off running but still have issues when I run. I believe that this is linked to the injury back 3 years ago with the lower back. I was just wondering if you have had any further issues and what action/diagnosis you had back then.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hello fletch
    As you say this is an old discussion the member who created it has not been on the forum for around 3 years so will not respond.  I will close it now. For support I suggest you create a new discussion explaining your situation.

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.