Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still no answer for pain

Went back to neurosurgeon today. Both the MRI and nerve conductor test are normal. He suggested physical therapy, which I have already done twice before. Now he has scheduled a cervical myelogram with CT scan. I have researched this test & honestly, I am scared to have this done. He did prescribe anti inflammatory & muscle relaxant medications. At this point I am considering getting a second opinion before I have the myelogram done. Can anyone share their similar experience? Any advice?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 08/26/2013 - 4:20 PM
    it was based on the final conclusion that a doctor had on my situation.

But , in reality, I guess the same can apply to the diagnostic tests that are being suggested. Some times, tests are done because in all reality, no one can figure out whats going on, so they are looking for something.

However, diagnostic testing is so very important in isolating a condition. I would just talk this over with your doctor to better understand why they want this test and what do the expect from the results.

Right now, I am going through a series of Steroid injections to help diagnose if I have another lumbar problem or is my hip causing the problem. I've already had a number of X-rays and MRIs, but still nothing says enough. They are hoping the ESIs will pinpoint the problem. I agreed with their rationale, so I am going for it. But first, I needed to know what they were expecting from all the Steroids. I already know, that I had cataract surgery because of steroids, and already my other eye is showing signs that surgery is required, but IF the steroids isolate the problem, I will be happy

Continue to research the test they want (myleogram). While they are pretty common, anytime your body is invaded, there are potential risks. Only you know how much you are willing to deal with.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi normaj,
    I've had a myelogram and it was no problem at all, just follow Dr's orders and you should be good. That was a very conclusive test that can many times pinpoint the problem other tests and imaging can not. If I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate.
  • Normaj
    Hi in your case I would be happy for the CT Mylogram. I had good nerve test and MRIs that didn't show what was causing my pain. The CT showed three nerve roots compressed and called.for surgery which was a success. If I didn't have the CT I would have not known or gotten the help I needed. Now I have a SCS and can only do the CTs but the pictures are much better.

After the CT follow their directions to a T and you should be alright.
    One thing that helps me get rid of the contrast is to start drinking coke right after the test is done. This was told to me by the tech doing it. The caffeine opens the viens and allows the contrast to work out quicker. I have done this both with and with out coke with totally different results. No head ache or nausea with the coke. After many of these I have learned to take coke with me and start has soon has possible. Even waiting a few hours will slow down the recovery. Others forms of caffeine may work but ice tea did not work one time for me.
    I stand behind the coke theory.
    Good luck and I hope you find out something that will help.