Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello everyone I am a 52 year old woman who has a history of back pain beginning around 1999. I had surgery a fusion L4 L5 and S1 on jan 2001. thru the years I have continued to hurt but drs said fusion took alls well well lately pain has gotten so bad I can hardly use the bathroom and use my muscles to push it hurts so bad I have to take a laxative I went to a pain management dr and he tried the epidural injections said he couldn't get to the site because of the scar tissue and hardware he sent me to a neurosurgeon she told me after looking at my mri that it looked like my fusion never took AFTER 12 years no one noticed it didn't take and then she said I needed a cat scan immediately and to come back next Tuesday what does this mean I had surgery on l3 l4 and s1 she said l3 needed fusing now also is she thinking about taking all that out and starting over??? I should have asked more questions but was in a state of shock the guy that did the ct scan said that fusions wear out over time and do eventually have to be replaced like any other machine or tool that u use a lot im just really scared and don't know what to expect im taking my pain meds but they are doing no good at all I hurt 24 7 I take 100 mg of morophine 3 times a day 30 mg of roxicet 4 times and day and baclophen I go back to my pain management dr next month I am in this case don't know whether to call him and see what I should do or what I don't know the neourosurgeon but my pain management dr recommended her any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks melinda
Melinda spinal fusion L4 L5 and S1 in 2001 had back pain since pain increasing rapidly lately on 100 mg morphine 30 oxycodone baclophen and Xanax

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 08/27/2013 - 9:16 PM
    Just went through a long ordeal with a friend who had a there level fusion there years ago.
    No fusion. She was in pain from movement and unstable neck. Revision surgery to make it right is changing her life. You never got taken care of years ago and in my opinion ego got in the way of you getting the care you needed.
    I have never heard of a fusion wearing out. Once bones fuse the hardware should not be needed but the fusion should be solid bone.
    This may give you your life back. Sounds like it's the fix you need.
    Good Luck