Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Fusion Advice

Hello Everyone!! I am new to this forum but I need some advice. I had a Microdiscectomy in November 2012. My doctor recommended that I get an L5-S1 fusion and Coflex the 2 above. I chose not to do that because I am only 33 years and I am an Officer in the U.S.Army and I am worried this can effect my career. After the Microdiscectomy sugery I felt better and began working out and jogging again in February 2013. I passed my APFT in April 2013 and really felt better. Then in May I went for a 5 mile jog and really starting feeling pain, soreness and tightness, after a few weeks I went back to my doctor and he said to me that I need a fusion and this type of stuff will happen the rest of your live because I have no stability. My discs in L5-S1 are degenerated and the 2 above it are pretty bad as well. The Discectomy was done to relieve a severe herniation that was entangled in my neve causing leg and but pain as well as numbness in my foot. I have a friend who is also a Nurosergon but lives in Miami but she says NO FUSION!!!! I'm too young and that my doctor is just being aggressive. My back always hurts, I cannot play with my 3 year old, I'm going white water rafting and I am nervous. I have an appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida for a 3rd opinion.

My question.....Will I have a good quality of life with an L5-S1 Fusion? Will I be restricted with working out, playing and rolling around with my kids etc. Can I maintain my level of fitness by the Army standerds with this procedure!!! I am so scared and I don't know what to do!!!! any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Isaac Figueroa

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • While I can't tell you how a fusion would affect you personally, I am a month out from mine and I expect to make enough of a recovery to still compete at a high level of activity. I should also mention that I am only twenty three so I don't think age is really a factor. It means I have to be diligent about my recovery and I can expect other levels to degenerate in the future possibly. You clearly have two conflicting opinions so its good you are getting another opinion because you don't want to rush into surgery. Your personal situation may be different but it seems to me people with this fusion can live very active lifestyles, and that is what I also hope to achieve. Take care!
  • I actually had a PLIF 5 years ago and have been playing tennis (competitive and social) the past 4 years. Going through with the PLIF allowed me to be active again after suffering from nerve pain for several years. It took a good year to allow full healing and fusion, but that year was so worth it. I am now recovering from knee surgery with a lateral release and hope to get back on the court. Hopefully a fusion will work for you like it did for me.

Good luck.
  • I had my L5 S1 fusion in June of this year. You can find my post from yesterday and see what I had to say. I think the best thing I did was have physical therapy within 2 days of my surgery. I am 72 years young and I'm doing much better than I thought I would. I had P/T at home for about 6 weeks and also a home health nurse that came as well. All have discharged me. My surgery was both anterior and posterior..The surgeon went in from the front with a neurosusrgeon and thru the back is where he put in the rods and screws. My surgeon also ordered a bone stimulator for me to use 30 minutes a day. I understand that these stimulators are programmed to use up to 9 months. Some people get off them sooner. It depends on how quickly the bone graft is taking and how well the fusion is doing. I walk a lot, do my exercises just about every day. I only have one issue and that is that I sometimes feel that I can tell that there is hardware inside me when I arch the back or turn. Other than that I'm great. I'm seeing my surgeon again in about 4 weeks. Good Luck to youi
  • My suggestion would be to do some research and find out who the best spinal surgeons are in your area, and seek a second opinion. Some doctors are more surgically aggressive than others. However, that doesn't mean that you don't need the surgery that is recommended. I'll be having a lumbar fusion soon, and was also very unsure. Once I consulted with the second surgeon who is amazing, I felt much better about things. Second opinions are always good in cases where surgery is on the table.
    Up coming Lumbar Fusion at L4/L5

My blog: livingbendy.com
  • I agree about more than one opinion. I had the same diagnosis from 3 surgeons. Two of them I did not have a good feel for but the 3rd I got a good feeling when I saw him, have confidence in his. I also did a lot of research before I chose a doctor to do my surgery. Get 2 or 3 opinions before you decide to have the surgery. My surgeon also sent me for a discogram prior to my surgery. This procedure was in addition to x-rays & MRI's