Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Increasing left big toe and foot pain 3.5yrs after L5S1 PLIF surgery

Following disc degeneration, I had L5S1 posterior lumbar inter body fusion in Jan 2010.
Recovery was very long undertaking intense physio sessions. Managed to continue yoga and Pilates and back to swimming and cycling within a year. Returned to part time work after 9months and rehab continued very well. Finally after nearly 3yrs began to feel semi-normal again but have recently developed intense pain and weakness in my left big toe. Back pain is occasional when I've overdone things.
My big toe feels really hot and particularly painful in between the big toe and toe next to it. Also have pain up left side of calf.
Left foot has always had some numbness since my surgery and my consultant said this may happen due to nerve damage.
Am concerned at the increase in this nerve pain and not sure what I can do about is....has anyone come across this similar situation before?
(Really don't want to have to go to GP for referral back to consultant if I can avoid it. due to NHS waiting times!)

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 08/31/2013 - 11:12 AM

I can sympathise with your returned pain in your left foot and leg.

I had a PLIF of L4/5 done in March 2010 and I have symptoms in both of my legs and feet and regular cramping in both feet, particularly the toes of the right foot. I have experienced that same pain; the pain between the big toe and the next toe.

I went on to have a two level ACDF and I think my surgeon felt that as my symptoms were in both legs, that it could be coming from cord compression that led to the neck fusion. I am now 10 months after this neck surgery and still have most of my symptoms in both legs and arms. My surgeon has said that it could be from permanent cord damage. I was left for over 2 years before I got a second opinion with the surgeon who did my ACDF.

I have often wondered if there is a test that could determine what level is causing the pain in my legs.

I think you are going to have to go and see your GP. I do understand the NHS waiting lists are long as I am in the UK too. Perhaps the sooner you go and see your GP the better.

You could possible try to contact your surgeon and see if he will review your case without being referred through your GP.

Good luck! :-) I would be interested to hear what explanation you are given for your pains.

** I have just seen your other post. Please note that it is against the forum rules to make duplicate posts. I will delete the other post as I have answered this one. That way the other members will have just one post to follow.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • can also be caused by gout. It may very well be a good idea to at least see your GP and let him examine you. If it is gout, it is treatable once the determination is made .